Hurt leg

HayleyCrum

Songster
Feb 27, 2022
East Tennessee
my guinea boy has a hurt leg, he has no open sores or wounds. the foot is hot and he isnt able to move his tallons like he does on the other foot. my rooster earlier in the week had something where he was limping also so im wondering if it is something that will fix on its own or not. is he going to die? i have soaked him in warm water, he will walk on it but only for a short amount of time, where his tallons meet it appears to be a little swollen but still no sign of a open wound anywhere.

my guinea boy has a hurt leg, he has no open sores or wounds. the foot is hot and he isnt able to move his tallons like he does on the other foot. my rooster earlier in the week had something where he was limping also so im wondering if it is something that will fix on its own or not. is he going to die? i have soaked him in warm water, he will walk on it but only for a short amount of time, where his tallons meet it appears to be a little swollen but still no sign of a open wound anywhere.
Soak in epsom salt. Are the scales raised or smooth? Check feet well for hard scab or other unusual area- bumblefoot. If it's warm to touch, he has inflammation and/or infection for some reason.

Soak in epsom salt. Are the scales raised or smooth? Check feet well for hard scab or other unusual area- bumblefoot. If it's warm to touch, he has inflammation and/or infection for some reason.
here is a picture

Attachments

• F9C8B646-3DC4-4384-8E9E-AE9C86E8B469.jpeg
    F9C8B646-3DC4-4384-8E9E-AE9C86E8B469.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 7
i checked for any hard scabs and i soaked him in epsom salt but i dont know what to do for the inflammatio
And everything I typed disappeared. Ok - you said he can't move his talons. Did you mean his toes? Bc that sounds like a fracture, mb incomplete if he's still trying to put wt on it. Is he holding it up or using wing to balance? Mb just a sprain, but not moving toes is concerning.
If he'll tolerate, ice pack reduces swelling. I know ppl give their chickens anti inflammatories, but I've not done so w/my guineas. Its animal version of meloxicam.
@Mixed flock enthusiast @casportpony @R2elk ?

And everything I typed disappeared. Ok - you said he can't move his talons. Did you mean his toes? Bc that sounds like a fracture, mb incomplete if he's still trying to put wt on it. Is he holding it up or using wing to balance? Mb just a sprain, but not moving toes is concerning.
If he'll tolerate, ice pack reduces swelling. I know ppl give their chickens anti inflammatories, but I've not done so w/my guineas. Its animal version of meloxicam.
You might get faster info if you transfer this to emergency forum 🤷‍♀️

yes his toes like when i hold him and rub on his other foot he moves it just fine but the other foot he doesnt move it, he does put weight on it but only occasionally did he, he has been holding hisself up with his wing, i dont know what to do if it is fractured

Attachments

• 0755E99A-7A1F-41F5-A8CC-D49B0DD62157.jpeg
    0755E99A-7A1F-41F5-A8CC-D49B0DD62157.jpeg
    781.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 055D7CC5-8677-44C3-9E96-A591CFDC6212.jpeg
    055D7CC5-8677-44C3-9E96-A591CFDC6212.jpeg
    602.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 845E8A25-E74D-4474-A15F-9A0B86CC246F.jpeg
    845E8A25-E74D-4474-A15F-9A0B86CC246F.jpeg
    654.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom