Hurt wing, now can't stand

Grandmadee

Chirping
Mar 29, 2016
Layton, Utah
On Mother's day I noticed a chick, now 11 weeks old with a hurt wing. ( I have 2 the same age) I brought her into the house, checked her out and wrapped her wing to her body. She wasn't attacked by a dog or anything. We assume that she may have been handled to rough by one of the grandkids. It immediately threw her balance off. She had been eating and drinking okay up until a couple of days ago. I got electrolytes for her water. I took her outside in a separate pen so she could be around her friends but away from the big girls. (They were going after her). She is now not eating well except for cottage cheese. She tips over foreword and can't stand up. Could it be vitamin issues? I have read up a bit about Mereks and vitamin issues seem to be the next thing to check.

Do you still have her wrapped up?
I have never heard of wrapping a wing to the body.

Vitamins will not hurt her...I would get her some asap.

I have unwrapped the wing, added electrolytes and vitamins to the water and had kept her in the house. She was eating cottage cheese and chick starter out of my hand. She seems to want to stand but can't seem to get her legs under her. Today I rigged a little sling out of a piece of t shirt fabric. I cut holes for her legs then pulled it up around her. She was able to stand with that support. Tonight I put her in a bunny cage and put her back into the coop. I made sure she had a piece of wood to stand on and access to food and water. I also put a heat lamp back in the cage. I thought being with her friends might help.

Back
Top Bottom