Husband says "why insulate if you're going to have ventilation"

junko

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 7, 2014
Rhode Island
I am building my 4x8 saltbox shaped coop- the tall side is the back and I have two 8x8 vent panels in there, a window on one end that will be screened and can be opened, and I am planning on putting some eave vents in the front of the coop. My husband thinks I shouldn't bother to insulate it since he says any heat will just escape out the vents. I say of course you need insulation! What say you? We are in RI and it sometimes gets into the single digits during the winter.

Also, in designing my roost(s) and poop board, I have a question- these will be large breed birds- how far in from the edge of the poop board should my roost be? I want to be sure the poop lands on the board and not an inch or whatever outside of it.

Thanks!

I always wondered the same thing. If you've built it draft free except the ventilation, why would you waste the money insulating it when literally all the heat is going to just go up and out the vents? It's not going to hold heat if there is open ventilation, at all. ...right?

I always wondered the same thing.  If you've built it draft free except the ventilation, why would you waste the money insulating it when literally all the heat is going to just go up and out the vents?  It's not going to hold heat if there is open ventilation, at all.  ...right?
keeping heat in and protection from the sun/heat in the summer are definite reasons to insulate your coop, if you have the resources.

keeping heat in and protection from the sun/heat in the summer are definite reasons to insulate your coop, if you have the resources.
But what I'm asking is how does it hold heat in when you have vents letting all the heat out and cold air in? It would work okay in summer, provided it's not too hot and doesn't just turn into an oven, and only if well ventilated. In winter, at least where we are, the necessary ventilation would make it impossible to retain heat. So I still don't see the point in insulating.

But what I'm asking is how does it hold heat in when you have vents letting all the heat out and cold air in?  It would work okay in summer, provided it's not too hot and doesn't just turn into an oven, and only if well ventilated.  In winter, at least where we are, the necessary ventilation would make it impossible to retain heat.  So I still don't see the point in insulating.
heat is lost through the walls as well as through open ventilation.
And in the summer prevents the sun from baking it so quickly

Last edited:
But what I'm asking is how does it hold heat in when you have vents letting all the heat out and cold air in? It would work okay in summer, provided it's not too hot and doesn't just turn into an oven, and only if well ventilated. In winter, at least where we are, the necessary ventilation would make it impossible to retain heat. So I still don't see the point in insulating.
Insulation would at least slow down the rate of heat loss you would have from the coop via vents, which are important for good respiratory health of the chickens. insulation would also help keep the wind from chilling your girls as well.

Hi
frow.gif
I think your husband is right. If he built it like Rhode Islanders do, snug, and watertight, that should do it.
The ventilation is to keep the foul air moving out and ventilation without drafts. When the foul air doesn't move
properly it creates condensation and that wetness in the air causes frostbite in cold weather. Poultry can
handle a lot of cold if they are snug, dry and the air is properly ventilated and dry. There's a superb ventilation
article here on BYC. Let me see if I can round it up.
Here ya go. It is a classic and should answer all your questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Is it cold there? (Below 30.) If not then you don't need it. If so then you defiantly need it.

Yes, it gets in the single digits.

Hi
frow.gif
I think your husband is right. If he built it like Rhode Islanders do, snug, and watertight, that should do it.
The ventilation is to keep the foul air moving out and ventilation without drafts. When the foul air doesn't move
properly it creates condensation and that wetness in the air causes frostbite in cold weather. Poultry can
handle a lot of cold if they are snug, dry and the air is properly ventilated and dry. There's a superb ventilation
article here on BYC. Let me see if I can round it up.
Here ya go. It is a classic and should answer all your questions:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop
Best,
Karen

If HE built it? The man couldn't build his way out of a paper bag. Heh heh...
wink.png

Thanks for the article! It's the reason I added more ventilation to my plans.

Let's just say the last time I had chickens here, I babied them so much I would bring them in the house every time it snowed more than a few inches. And yes, that coop was insulated as well. Hubby said I could have chickens if I promised not to bring them in anymore, and I kind of agree with him. LOL. But he thinks the insulation is a big waste of time/money.

Back
Top Bottom