I’m impatient! What is dominant w/ white Cochin crosses?

HBRRanchCO

Songster
Dec 15, 2017
Simla, CO
I’ve been keeping chickens for a few years, raised some chicks, but they’ve all been purchased and I more or less knew their breeds. It is always fun seeing the tiny fluffies grow into their different colors. Some chicks look very similar until they get older. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know lol sorry.

One of my friends took 9 of my eggs fertilized by my only rooster (a white Cochin) and so far 6 of them have hatched. We know from the eggs that there were 2 Easter Eggers (one black with gold, one white with some light brown) and a golden comet (sex link), then the other 3 are either black Australorp, Rhode island red, barred rock, or light Brahma.

My question is, from all of these crosses what colors would you expect to see in the chicks knowing that daddy is a white Cochin? Are there any chicken genetic constants? 5 of the chicks look very similar, mostly black with white bellies and faces and wingtips. (One of the 5 is similar but more black overall, less white) and one is gray instead of black with those same white markings.

I definitely did not expect them to all come out the same color with such different breeds/colors of mommas!

One egg left to hatch is from a white hen that is a whiting true blue.

Im super excited to watch them grow, but also really curious about how the genetics work and kind of impatient haha. They all have feathered legs, so I’m assuming that is dominant. The 2 Easter Eggers have fluffy cheeks, so we know which 2 those are. I’m wondering if the more black one could be an Australorp baby?
The coloring is similar to the chicks I got last year that had barring, so I’m wondering if they’ll all be barred. The rooster was gray with white when he was a chick, so will they all just be white!?

At least they’re all cute little buggers. The surrogate mom is being awesome, she’s a bantam Cochin named Chewie.

136C7305-B7CE-449A-892B-C0C24E31EAC5.jpeg

2B08BC80-3249-4B0F-B403-89B8011A72AB.jpeg

I’ve been keeping chickens for a few years, raised some chicks, but they’ve all been purchased and I more or less knew their breeds. It is always fun seeing the tiny fluffies grow into their different colors. Some chicks look very similar until they get older. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know lol sorry.

One of my friends took 9 of my eggs fertilized by my only rooster (a white Cochin) and so far 6 of them have hatched. We know from the eggs that there were 2 Easter Eggers (one black with gold, one white with some light brown) and a golden comet (sex link), then the other 3 are either black Australorp, Rhode island red, barred rock, or light Brahma.

My question is, from all of these crosses what colors would you expect to see in the chicks knowing that daddy is a white Cochin? Are there any chicken genetic constants? 5 of the chicks look very similar, mostly black with white bellies and faces and wingtips. (One of the 5 is similar but more black overall, less white) and one is gray instead of black with those same white markings.

I definitely did not expect them to all come out the same color with such different breeds/colors of mommas!

One egg left to hatch is from a white hen that is a whiting true blue.

Im super excited to watch them grow, but also really curious about how the genetics work and kind of impatient haha. They all have feathered legs, so I’m assuming that is dominant. The 2 Easter Eggers have fluffy cheeks, so we know which 2 those are. I’m wondering if the more black one could be an Australorp baby?
The coloring is similar to the chicks I got last year that had barring, so I’m wondering if they’ll all be barred. The rooster was gray with white when he was a chick, so will they all just be white!?

At least they’re all cute little buggers. The surrogate mom is being awesome, she’s a bantam Cochin named Chewie.

View attachment 2800844
View attachment 2800845
Please update how they look!

@RoostersAreAwesome

Sounds like the cochin is recessive white, which only shows when a chicken has two copies of the gene. Since his chicks aren’t white, they only have one copy of the gene, meaning that their coloration is partly due to what’s under the father’s recessive white, which appears to be black.

Back
Top Bottom