anyone working on a white-egg laying Easter Egger? (or other white-layer cross)

Edit to add: I just remembered Spangled Russian Orloffs (sold by Ideal Poultry and maybe some other hatcheries.) They have a cushion comb (genetically pea + rose) and muff/beard (fluffy cheeks.) Cross a Leghorn rooster to an Orloff hen, then cross the daughters back to Leghorn again. In that generation, look for ones with the small comb and puffy cheeks, and see if any lay white eggs. If the eggs aren't white enough, cross back to Leghorn again. Repeat until you've got ones with the right comb type, puffy cheeks, and laying white eggs.
By breeding in the leghorns, you could hopefully increase the egg quantity, too, as I see Russian Orloffs only lay ~100 eggs per year.

By breeding in the leghorns, you could hopefully increase the egg quantity, too, as I see Russian Orloffs only lay ~100 eggs per year.
Yes, Leghorns would do that much better than something like Dorkings.

Dorkings would be another breed to consider mixing in: white eggs, dual-purpose body size & shape, temperament probably calmer than Leghorns. If you don't care about production, the Dorkings would probably be a better choice to mix with the Orloffs. But since you do want good layers, I would start with Leghorns, and keep Dorkings in mind if you need to adjust some of the other traits later.

Yes, Leghorns would do that much better than something like Dorkings.

Dorkings would be another breed to consider mixing in: white eggs, dual-purpose body size & shape, temperament probably calmer than Leghorns. If you don't care about production, the Dorkings would probably be a better choice to mix with the Orloffs. But since you do want good layers, I would start with Leghorns, and keep Dorkings in mind if you need to adjust some of the other traits later.
Thanks.

I was looking at Dorkings to have, based on someone else's recomendation in this thread, but I see they can be strongly broody. I only allow one strongly broody breed in my flock at a time, so If I were going to add Dorkings, I'd have to get rid of my Buffs. It still might be easier in the long run.

It will be 10+ years before I have the time and money to set up a breeding program, and I think I'd rather be free to travel in retirement, rather than being chained to a chicken farm LOL

This may not be exactly what you're looking for with this thread, but Dorkings are a white egg laying breed that is cold hardy, docile and calm in temperament, and lay steadily through their lives. They don't lay the most eggs like a Leghorn might, but my Dorkings were laying almost as well at 5 years old as they did at 2 years old, and very often laid through the winter months as well. There are rose comb varieties of Dorking, but my single-combed Dorks do just fine in the winter, and I've seen minimal frostbite on even the ones with the largest combs. They're also an ancient breed that could use more dedicated breeders working with them.

Of course, they don't have the puffy cheeks of Ameraucanas or many Easter-eggers, so if that trait is a must, obviously Dorkings are not the right breed for that. But they are some of the sweetest, most gentle birds I have ever owned, and seem to check all of the other marks on your wishlist for cold-hardy white egg layers. 🙂 Anyway, that was just a thought on the subject.
Thanks. In looking into these, I see that broodiness can be a problem. What has your experience been with that?

I actually have a white egg laying Easter Egger.

I bought all my chickens at the same time as day-old chicks from Meyers Hatchery. I ordered 2 Frizzled Easter Eggers. 1 of the 2 failed to thrive and passed away at 6 weeks. The 1 that did make it has all white feathers and is all Frizzled.

I was expecting green eggs. I was shocked when I watched her lay an all white egg. She's my only white egg layer out of 14 hens. And because she's an Easter Egger from a hatchery, there's no way of knowing the genetics. But she looks like a Frizzled Leghorn.
She's a pretty girl. I think my Wyandotte's would have WAY too much fun with all those frizzles though, and and a bird like that might end up naked in my flock LOL. I like my Wyandotte's, but they can be opportunistic bullies.

She's a pretty girl. I think my Wyandotte's would have WAY too much fun with all those frizzles though, and and a bird like that might end up naked in my flock LOL. I like my Wyandotte's, but they can be opportunistic bullies.
Thanks! She got picked on for a bit in my flock too. She had no feathers on her back for awhile. They just finally grew back in. I had other hens missing feathers too. I'm not sure if it was from my Blue (BBS) Ameraucana rooster, or the other hens, or combination of the 2. But I haven't had an issue since all their feathers grew back in. Let's hope it stays that way. 🤞🏻

what about owl beards? they lay a white egg. pretty dang close to an EE.
https://greenfirefarms.com/owlbeard.html
OL hen new arrivals.jpg
OL Rooster new arrivals.jpg

Thanks. In looking into these, I see that broodiness can be a problem. What has your experience been with that?

Mine have not been very broody at all, each maybe brooding once or twice at most in her entire lifetime, but I would suspect that would vary from line to line depending on what the person selecting them is selecting for. 🙂

Back
Top Bottom