I adopted these two hens, what are they?

shannonmgrt

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Leander, TX
Long story short, I picked up these two hens because the owner no longer wanted them because they weren't laying eggs. She had a small backyard in the city and didn't feel like it was the best home for them. She had adopted them from another lady where they had been neglected. So, even though she had fattened them up a bit, they still didn't seem happy.

Now, I have given them more space, sunlight, and love. I just don't know what they are.

I think the big black one is a Black Jersey Giant. I have no idea what the gray colored one is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Also, will they lay eggs again? The previous owner said they only laid once or twice in nearly a year. There had been stray cats, loud dogs, and possums getting into the tiny backyard with them. I can't imagine them being too comfortable. There was no longer any grass or green at all, just dirt.

Thats where I was getting confused too. The more I looked at pictures to compare, the more I thought it could have been an orpington. I have another silly question. It kind of looks like a Rooster? Or no? It doesnt crow at all, It is very big, it is by far the largest chicken I have ever seen. lol Its really tall and full feathered.

Orpingtons for me are always hard to tell, but I would say BO is a roo face is really red and LO is a hen Or cockerel and pullet. Not sure of age.

I meant to also say that the feathers have the green-blue shine typical of Roos.

Last edited:
I have a Australorp that looks very simular shed very glossy with hints of green and almost purple other possibility she could be a black standard Cochin my only guess as I'm am not good at knowing my breeds

Here's an example of a standard black Cochin I found online

Back
Top Bottom