I am BEYOND angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! D:<

Daddas1Punkin

Crowing
11 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Ca.
This morning my dad woke up to my cousin's voice. He said he sounded angry. He was yelling at our neighbor. Our neighbor's stupid dog jumped the fence, into our back yard, over the chickens' fence, and killed 2 of our 7 chickens, and seriously injured. My cousin had to put the others out of their misery. Which really upset him. He is an army soldier but he is the biggest sweetheart you'll ever meet. We now have two chickens... They are highly upset. They somehow managed to get into the coop and when the dog tried to come in, the coop door slammed on it's head. So Josie and Mitzi are the lucky ones. That dog is psycho... It constantly runs in circles, and the owners don't even care enough to keep it in the yard. Now it's in a 5' x 5' pen. Our neighbor said if that ever happens again, shoot it, call him and he'll come get the body... No cops, no questions... That is a very terrible owner right there... Don't even get me started on that... I am so far beyond angry, but hopefully chicken people understand. I raised some of those chickens from 3 days old. They were my babies. One of them would run up to you and sit on your lap and go to sleep, or walk around on your shoulder. She would follow me around like a puppy dog... She was my baby! The others we had for three years. They were very special to us also. I could go on for days, but I just needed to get it off my chest. I was in bed still. (It was 6:15) trying to wake up, but I would have yelled to bad if I was out there! I am so angry!!!!!!
They better hope that their dog never gets one of our dogs, or I WOULD shoot it myself! That is very unlike me, but if you hurt my baby, that's it!

I am so sorry for your loss.
While it sounds good that the neighbor said what they did, nope - call the police, file a report and seek restitution for your lost livestock - it will also put the matter on record as far as the dog so that if/when there are any future instances of the dog being loose/out (even w/out accosting someone's animals) there is record of this incident. The only reason they don't want the police called is because they know that they are at fault and could be facing ramifications for failure to contain/control their dog....it isn't *you* they are looking out for there, it is themselves.

So sorry for your loss...I feel your pain!!

I started raising chickens in a very residential neighborhood when I was 14 years old.
Had no idea about hardware cloth, built my pen with chicken wire.

I came home from school one day to see a bunch of my neighbors all excited on my front lawn.

There, in the middle, was one of the neighbors 75 pound dog with my rooster in its mouth, the rooster was still alive. No police were called.

I tackled the dog, fists flying...
We went a few rounds, me landing several good body shots, but the dog would not release my bird.

I positioned a choke hold.
He dropped the bird.
I wouldn't let go...the dog went limp...

Mom finally pulled me off while I was still beating the unresponsive dog.
Neighbors now starring in complete disbelief...blood everywhere, rooster, mine, and dog.

I carried away my now dead rooster.

Neighbor took her unconscious dog to vet.
Mom took me to the hospital.

That evening, my neighbor had a dog with broken ribs, and huge vet bill.
I had 8 stitches, a dead rooster, and apology with an offer to compensate.

Not to mention complete respect / fear from the neighbors.

Good neighbor, bad coop design. Lesson learned.

My current coop is built to keep a 200 pound dog out, I'm too old to fight mother nature.

Lost my Mitzi today... She died of old age... She was my first chicken, the sweetest thing!
RIP Mitzi 2009(?)-2014
hit.gif

First let me say how sorry I am for your losses. With that said, it would be to your benefit if you 1) take pictures...lots of pictures and 2) you call the police and MAKE A REPORT! Why? Because if you don't and you do end up shooting the dog you will have it on record that the dog was a menace.

I find it very odd that your neighbor said shoot the dog, no cops, no questions.....hmm, very odd. As most everyone here on the BYC forum knows of me my motto is, and always will be:

S - S - S

Shoot - Shovel - Shut Up

Again so very sorry, please keep us updated as to the outcome with that scumbag dog.

Our neighbor's wife and 2yo came with a box and she was almost crying "I'm so sorry Elysia!
hit.gif
Here, I got you a present..." Handed me the box and there was a rir and a duckling!
jumpy.gif

we took the duckling back cause we don't have the setup but we now have a RIR and Amaracuna! That was sweet of them. I'm still really upset, but this helps a little! I'll get some pics later!
I'm glad they feel bad (i know that sounds cold but,) so maybe they will be more careful from now on...

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
hugs.gif
I'm glad you had two survive (considering the damage) I think many, many of us know exactly how attached we all get and it's just plain unfair when other people don't care. I hope it never happens again.

Back
Top Bottom