I am not sure if this is Marek's, Please Help....

Mary Poopins

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Hello All,
I have a strange disease effecting my birds.
It only effects one chicken at a time, or at least it seems that way.
The sick chicken is isolated from the flock by the other chickens, she stays on the outskirts of the flock.
Then her abdomen swells until she has trouble walking.
This continues until the chicken can no longer walk because the swelling abdomen is pushing their legs outward.
Between the time that her abdomen starts swelling and she cannot walk, she prefers to stay on the outskirts of the flock usually sitting down.
The chicken is also less responsive, while the others get spooked, the sick bird will stay put or walk slowly away.
The first chicken it effected also had a respiratory infection, the others don’t seem to be having any trouble breathing.
Their poo is fine, or at least it looks fine.
This can take weeks to happen, I am under the impression that Marek’s disease only takes a few days.
So far it has effected three of my birds.
My last three don’t seem effected but then again I thought this two weeks ago when the last one died.
So I am not sure if this is organ failure or Marek’s.
We have had issues with the feed lately, the mill has been sending out the worst feed, which draws every little bird in the neighborhood, so we suspect this is contributing to the issues. We have since gone to a homemade feed but this has only been about two weeks.
I have looked up Marek’s and the only symptoms my chickens are having that suggest Marek’s is the lethargy and inability to walk, although I have seen videos of Marek’s disease and my chickens don’t look like this with the one leg behind the other, their legs are sprawling outward to the sides.
I am not sure what to do.
I have called the vet and they want a small fortune to diagnose this and I don’t have the money.
So I am not sure if this has been caused by the horrible feed from the mill, the neighborhood little birds, or is this some type of Marek’s?
Any help is greatly appreciated, Mary

It really doesn't sound like Mareks disease. How old are these chickens? There are several reproductive disorders such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, and ascites or fluid in the belly from heart or liver failure or one of those previously listed diseases. You might want to check with your state vet at the dept.of agriculture about getting a necropsy done on a hen if you lose her. They can usually identify problems or diseases. Are you able to buy a well known brand of feed such as Purina, Nutrena, or others? It helps to get fresh dated feed as well.

I forgot to mention, the chickens are all three years old, from the same source.
This just started about a month and a half ago.
Another thing, all, except for two of my chickens have stopped laying, I thought this had to do with the bad feed.
The quality of the feed went from decent to just powder in the last year and a half. It literally looks like the settlement from other feeds.
It was supposed to be 18% lay mash from Ace-HI mill.

The chickens are all three years old, from the same feed store. I have no idea who the breeder is...
We have suspected organ failure because the feed we have been getting has gone down hill over the past year and a half

As far as the necropsy, is that they all want a small fortune. I cannot afford it right now.
As far as the feeds, all of the local feed stores carry the same crappy feed, from the same mill....
No name brands are available.
We started making our own about three weeks ago and the chickens love it.

As far as the necropsy, is that they all want a small fortune. I cannot afford it right now.
As far as the feeds, all of the local feed stores carry the same crappy feed, from the same mill....
No name brands are available.
We started making our own about three weeks ago and the chickens love it.

What state do you live in?

-Kathy

This says they are free:
http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/local_resources/pdfs/fee lists/Poultry_fee_list_040116.pdf

The Labs

Davis Laboratory
West Health Science Drive
Davis, California 95616
(530) 752-8700
(530) 752-6253 (FAX)
[email protected]

Turlock Laboratory
1550 N Soderquist Road
Turlock, CA 95380-2204
(209) 634-5837
(209) 667-4261 (FAX)
[email protected]

Tulare Laboratory
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

San Bernardino Laboratory
105 W Central Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408 2113
(909) 383-4287
(909) 884-5980 (FAX)
[email protected]

How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

They need the whole bird, refrigerated, not frozen. If you live in CA, there are four labs that do necropsies on poultry (chickens, turkeys, waterfowl) for free. I know that they do out of state necropsies, but I think they charge for those. You could call them and ask what they charge for out of state "backyard poultry". The lab I use is the one in Tulare, CA. If you are in CA, call them and ask for their FedEx account number, it will save a bunch on shipping charges.

CAHFS
18830 Road 112
Tulare, CA 93274-9042
(559) 688-7543
(559) 686-4231 (FAX)
[email protected]

The other labs are listed here:
http://www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu/services/lab_locations.cfm

If it's Friday, unless you want to overnight for Saturday delivery, I would suggest shipping on Monday for Tuesday delivery. What you need to do, if you haven't already done so, is put your bird in your refrigerator, NOT the freezer! Then you need to find a box, line it with styrofoam (I use the 4'x8'x1" stuff from Home Depot. You can also get smaller pieces at an art store like Michael's, but is way more expensive. Click here to see foam options. You'll also need at least one ice pack. Here are some pictures that I took of the last bird that I sent:

Box lined with foam on four sides and bottom. Seams of foam taped sealed.

Box, sides, bottom and and top.

Frozen ice pack in ziplock baggie.

Brown paper on top of ice pack.

Hen in ziplock baggie on top of brown paper.

Brown paper on top of hen.

Ice pack on top of brown paper.

Lid on top of brown paper.

Inside the box you should also include a submission form in a ziplock baggie. Do not tell anyone at FedEx that you're shipping a dead animal... that seems to really worry them. Just make sure that nothing will leak.

Hope this helps!

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom