I am sure it has been talked about a lot, Worming Questions

I know what blackhead is, I was just wondering why so many of there birds got infected, I was wondering if they had chickens with there birds or if it just is in there soil.

Like my signature says "many chickens", but it's the same set of chickens that I had when I raised 2009 hatched peas. All of the problems began when I moved here, but it never affected the 2009 peas, just the peas and poults from 2011 and 2012. FWIW, the new place is only 15 miles away from the other, is larger and never had any animals on it, but it is flat.

I should add that if I decide to hatch more, they will not touch the ground until they are at least six months old.

Like my signature says "many chickens", but it's the same set of chickens that I had when I raised 2009 hatched peas. All of the problems began when I moved here, but it never affected the 2009 peas, just the peas and poults from 2011 and 2012. FWIW, the new place is only 15 miles away from the other, is larger and never had any animals on it, but it is flat.
Was it farmed though? A lot of people up here us the waste from DeCosta's for their garden, lawns and fields. Who knows what's in the ground if this has been done in the past. Is there water nearby? Anything agricultural besides you and your birds?

Was it all young birds say under six months that you had a problem with? Do they seem to be fine after a certain age?

Was it farmed though?  A lot of people up here us the waste from DeCosta's for their garden, lawns and fields.  Who knows what's in the ground if this has been done in the past. Is there water nearby?  Anything agricultural besides you and your birds? 

I'm in ag country, cow pasture across the road and this property used to be used for hay, but it's never had any farm animals on it and it. The closest water is a creek a few miles away.

I'm in ag country, cow pasture across the road and this property used to be used for hay, but it's never had any farm animals on it and it. The closest water is a creek a few miles away.
I would really lime it heavily or use wood ash if you can get it. This will drive the worms out and let you get a reprieve so you can catch up. From what I've read, cows can pass this on even though they aren't affected by it. I'm in pretty much the same boat here. At the top of the hill I live on, the person renting the land from the town has stock piled chicken manure for years....in the Spring, during the melt, the water runs down the side of the hill and goes through a lot of places on my land. I was doomed before I even started, lol.

Lol, probably shouldn't lime/ash my lawn, horse pasture, arena, gardens, etc.
Barn lime shouldn't bother as it's much weaker than the 'normal' lawn/garden lime. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all. I add it to the chicken's dusting box and have even used it in the ducks/goose outside pen without any issues at all. Try it...you'll like it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom