I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics

CityFarmerRob

Songster
Aug 25, 2023
I've been keeping birds for almost 2 years which is not a long time but I incubated some eggs to see what would happen what long story short I gave several chickens and I believed by texting them when they were young around 5 weeks 6 weeks that they were female and these had been pulled from a lot earlier that I had tried to sex which we all know is difficult. Well the bird was returned to me because it turned out to be a rooster and so I put it by itself and that's where it's been for the last two weeks well this morning the old nesting box it decided to perch in and poop in had an egg in it and even though there's hens around the coop and in other areas there is not one able to get in there he has been absolutely alone. I know it's rare they say about 1 in 10,000 and it's much more likely to be looked at as a hoax than an actuality but I walked out today and that's what I found.
16929854083802338520590894803787.jpg

I've been keeping birds for almost 2 years which is not a long time but I incubated some eggs to see what would happen what long story short I gave several chickens and I believed by texting them when they were young around 5 weeks 6 weeks that they were female and these had been pulled from a lot earlier that I had tried to sex which we all know is difficult. Well the bird was returned to me because it turned out to be a rooster and so I put it by itself and that's where it's been for the last two weeks well this morning the old nesting box it decided to perch in and poop in had an egg in it and even though there's hens around the coop and in other areas there is not one able to get in there he has been absolutely alone. I know it's rare they say about 1 in 10,000 and it's much more likely to be looked at as a hoax than an actuality but I walked out today and that's what I found.View attachment 3619160
How old is it? Definitely male color and saddles

@NatJ

I've been keeping birds for almost 2 years which is not a long time but I incubated some eggs to see what would happen what long story short I gave several chickens and I believed by texting them when they were young around 5 weeks 6 weeks that they were female and these had been pulled from a lot earlier that I had tried to sex which we all know is difficult. Well the bird was returned to me because it turned out to be a rooster and so I put it by itself and that's where it's been for the last two weeks well this morning the old nesting box it decided to perch in and poop in had an egg in it and even though there's hens around the coop and in other areas there is not one able to get in there he has been absolutely alone. I know it's rare they say about 1 in 10,000 and it's much more likely to be looked at as a hoax than an actuality but I walked out today and that's what I found.View attachment 3619160
If it actually lays eggs I would call it a hen, even though it certainly LOOKS like a male.

I've read of a few such chickens, but not very many, so it's neat to hear about another one!

Considering how unusual this is, are you sure there is no other explanation for the egg?
Any chance that some human prankster slipped the egg in there? Or could a hen have squeezed in to lay and then left again, or laid an egg on top of the cage so the egg fell in?

That wire mesh has really big openings. Could a hen have squeezed in? Mine have surprised me by squeezing through small openings.
No I considered that for a brief second but all my hens are locked up and the wire around them is hardware cloth so it's half inch square. The only other birds that can get in there and I have seen them in there are sparrows. Now if a sparrow lay this egg I should have seen exploded Sparrow all over the place because it's regular size egg.

If it actually lays eggs I would call it a hen, even though it certainly LOOKS like a male.

I've read of a few such chickens, but not very many, so it's neat to hear about another one!

Considering how unusual this is, are you sure there is no other explanation for the egg?
Any chance that some human prankster slipped the egg in there? Or could a hen have squeezed in to lay and then left again, or laid an egg on top of the cage so the egg fell in?
And that is something that I consider, but all my coops are locked up and anybody who knows me would know that that's a good way to get shot or ripped up by a dog. And you would actually have to go into one coupe to open the door to get inside that one to get an egg into that box. And I've tried to run every scenario through my head because I know what people would think because it's what I would think this is a hoax but it sure is God made little green apples I went out there today and it was an egg in that box and that's where he's been sleeping or should I say she!

Back
Top Bottom