I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Pics
Vent of a layer, stretchy and pink. Regardless if it’s a prank, hoax or real it’s been entertaining to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpeg
    IMG_1169.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 33
Vent of a layer, stretchy and pink. Regardless if it’s a prank, hoax or real it’s been entertaining to say the least.
Thanks for keeping the open mind, because if I was reading this on the internet I would think it's a hoax too! That's why I'm going as far as to pay to have this bird examined. Appreciate the picture, didn't want to go through all of that to try to check the VIN on this bird considering that he's not easy to get to, and only been keeping him a couple years I wasn't sure that I'd be able to determine it at all.

Thanks for keeping the open mind, because if I was reading this on the internet I would think it's a hoax too! That's why I'm going as far as to pay to have this bird examined. Appreciate the picture, didn't want to go through all of that to try to check the VIN on this bird considering that he's not easy to get to, and only been keeping him a couple years I wasn't sure that I'd be able to determine it at all.
Auto dictate, only been keeping birds for about 2 years I hatched him I believe it was back in September of last year with a brood.

Those two eggs are completely different colors. Sounds like somewhere in this chain of events there's a prankster. You sure nobody's been putting eggs in there?
After I considered every possible scenario that one right there was the only one that could have made any sense other than this is actually happening. But I can only say I can assure you that no one has been in my backyard messing around with my birds. I'm just saying, stranger wouldn't go through all this trouble to play a prank and not steal something or something else and anybody who knows me would absolutely never do that not in broad daylight let alone at night. Between me and the dog and the cameras I just don't see how anybody can sneak in. I don't know any ninjas personally. But anything is possible and that's why I'm going through with the medical examination. I'll even post a copy of my bill.

How did you sex this bird? Most sexing techniques that backyarders use are not at all accurate despite that some swear by them, so depending on how exactly you went about it it may not be that big of a surprise that this one was missexed.

For the record, you can safely float the first egg to test how old it is and still incubate it. I routinely wash eggs with soap and warm water that then go on to hatch just fine. 🙂

I did notice the shell color was different on the two eggs like others have pointed out, and that strongly indicates that two different birds laid them... though sometimes early eggs have hiccups that can cause that. However, what strikes me most odd here is how dry the broken egg is.

Chickens cannot lick a mess clean like that, they are simply incapable. When a chicken breaks an egg in a nest and eats it, they leave a layer of egg goo everywhere around it; soaked into the nesting material, stuck on the shell, etc. They just can't clean up a broken egg as well as that picture shows. They also tend to puncture just one hole in the side, widen that, and drink the contents from there rather than shattering the shell completely as pictured. Based on that, that second egg was not broken and eaten by a chicken, or at the very least it was not broken and eaten by a chicken any time recently if it's been able to dry up like that. If those egg shells were not there yesterday, then your cockerel is not the one that did that. So what I'm wondering, personally, is if you don't just have a rat or other small egg predator carrying eggs into that pen to eat them, and perhaps it was interrupted before it could eat the first one, leading to this whole thing.

I agree with many of the others, the bird in question is undoubtedly a cockerel and not the one producing these eggs. I think there is a more reasonable explanation for all of this, such as the one I gave above, or a prankster as others have mentioned. I hope you figure it out! In the mean time, I'm definitely watching with interest. :pop

How did you sex this bird? Most sexing techniques that backyarders use are not at all accurate despite that some swear by them, so depending on how exactly you went about it it may not be that big of a surprise that this one was missexed.

For the record, you can safely float the first egg to test how old it is and still incubate it. I routinely wash eggs with soap and warm water that then go on to hatch just fine. 🙂

I did notice the shell color was different on the two eggs like others have pointed out, and that strongly indicates that two different birds laid them... though sometimes early eggs have hiccups that can cause that. However, what strikes me most odd here is how dry the broken egg is.

Chickens cannot lick a mess clean like that, they are simply incapable. When a chicken breaks an egg in a nest and eats it, they leave a layer of egg goo everywhere around it; soaked into the nesting material, stuck on the shell, etc. They just can't clean up a broken egg as well as that picture shows. They also tend to puncture just one hole in the side, widen that, and drink the contents from there rather than shattering the shell completely as pictured. Based on that, that second egg was not broken and eaten by a chicken, or at the very least it was not broken and eaten by a chicken any time recently if it's been able to dry up like that. If those egg shells were not there yesterday, then your cockerel is not the one that did that. So what I'm wondering, personally, is if you don't just have a rat or other small egg predator carrying eggs into that pen to eat them, and perhaps it was interrupted before it could eat the first one, leading to this whole thing.

I agree with many of the others, the bird in question is undoubtedly a cockerel and not the one producing these eggs. I think there is a more reasonable explanation for all of this, such as the one I gave above, or a prankster as others have mentioned. I hope you figure it out! In the mean time, I'm definitely watching with interest. :pop
Rat was the first thing that came to mind too... especially seeing that this roosters cage isn't rat proof by any means.

Also.. another interesting thing that was stated was the rooster is getting up high to lay the eggs which is why this second egg broke. Yet the rooster is in the cage that appears to be no higher or no taller than he is, which would make it a little bit difficult to get up high.

After I considered every possible scenario that one right there was the only one that could have made any sense other than this is actually happening. But I can only say I can assure you that no one has been in my backyard messing around with my birds. I'm just saying, stranger wouldn't go through all this trouble to play a prank and not steal something or something else and anybody who knows me would absolutely never do that not in broad daylight let alone at night. Between me and the dog and the cameras I just don't see how anybody can sneak in. I don't know any ninjas personally. But anything is possible and that's why I'm going through with the medical examination. I'll even post a copy of my bill.

Looking forwards to seeing the vet bill.

Back
Top Bottom