I Built A Bridge!

Tee hee Diva that monster is a goanna [monitor lizard].

Apparently he was trying to steal eggs [I believe, or could have been chicks] from under a mumma hen who fought back and raised a ruckus. No damage done except she lost a few feathers .. brave little girl!

While some Aussies have been known to keep some strange pets ... large cockroaches, scorpions etc; I do not believe anyone is silly enough to have one of these as a pet and keeping them may be illegal anyways.

I was just thinking about you the other day, Teila, as I put on my hoodie before walking the boys to the bus stop. I thought oh… soon it will be dark and we will be using flashlights in the morning… but not for Teila, she is about to swing into summer!

Oh! A praying mantis! We LOVE those here. The boys like to catch them and observe them for a day or so before we let them go. We feed it crickets and watch how it catches them. We found an egg sac on one of our Christmas trees one year. We saved it and come spring we had a bunch of little babies! We let them go in the garden to eat all the other bugs.

Have I ever told you how much of a Steve Irwin fan I am? DH and I both just loved him. He was truly someone special, an amazing animal ambassador who really had a way of connecting people and wildlife. We still watch "Crocodile Hunter" any time it is on. Anyhow, as soon as I saw that lizard, I unconsciously said "Goanna" in my best Australian accent-- no doubt something I learned from one of his shows.

I don't mean to Jinx you, but with all of those wonderful Momma hens at Bambrook Bantams, have you thought about whether or not you are going to take another go at hatching this summer? I can't remember if your last two girls took up your last two spots or not.

Hey folks, just a quick visit to say all is well and share some fun photos .........

KiKi .. how could you not love that face?!

Crystal .. can you see her blue feathers? Crystal and KiKi are now just shy of 6 months old!

Shake, shake, shake .... Shake, shake, shake ....

Butt .. Butt .. Butt!

Blondie .. the grasshopper thief!

KiKi with the grasshopper she initially caught and Blondie stole and ate!

Hey folks, just a quick visit to say all is well and share some fun photos .........

KiKi .. how could you not love that face?!

Crystal .. can you see her blue feathers? Crystal and KiKi are now just shy of 6 months old!

Shake, shake, shake .... Shake, shake, shake ....

Butt .. Butt .. Butt!

Blondie .. the grasshopper thief!

KiKi with the grasshopper she initially caught and Blondie stole and ate!
I love Kiki's cute little face.......

Yum yum Hoppers for dinner!!!!!

Hi All,

Been a while. Great pics, Telia! Your girls are so pretty!!

Easing into fall here in the Eastern USA. The sycamore trees are dropping more leaves every day. The maple trees have started to turn their brilliant orange/red. The weather is cool now, 60's, sometimes up to 70, and 40's to 50's at night. This Saturday it is supposed to get down to 33 at night, which means we will fire up our wood stove for the first real fire of the season. Between then and spring, there will not be many times that the fire will run out.

We survived all of the rain a couple weeks ago. It rained for about 2 weeks straight. Talk about cabin fever!! We lucked out, though, and did not get the 10" they were forecasting for us. South Carolina got hit hard, though.

The guineas went to their new home this past weekend. They were becoming rather aggressive to all the young chickens. Many had no tails and one was even bloody. I decided guineas were not for us and they went on to live in the next county with a bigger flock of guineas.

The new coop has been on hold since school started back up. We have been so busy here. It probably has about 24 hours left on the build. I hope we can have it done by Thanksgiving.

Roosters, Roosters, everywhere!! No hits on my ad for roosters. Blackbeard is still ruling the roost, but I have 7 juveniles that I need to do something with. I believe I will keep three of them (the older three, Marshall, Willie Two, and "Piney" the EE who has started roosting in the pine tree. The younger 4 will need to find new homes. at 11 weeks old, their momma just now quit sleeping in the nesting box with them and went back to the roost.

I have some big news. Yesterday I called and got on the waiting list for a West Highland White Terrier!!!!!!!!!! We lost our Westie to lymphoma four years ago, and my heart has been broken since. We got Lilly, our pound puppy, almost immediately after, but she is the boys dog and adores my husband. I miss my little shadow. Maybe more so now that the boys are gone all day at school. My Max used to sit right at my feet while I worked. He truly was a once in a lifetime dog! Anyhow, it may be 7mo to a year before I get my call back, but my heart is racing at the thought!!! I have had my eye on this breeder for 4 years, and wow, they really are amazing. I can not wait!!

Hi MistyMountain

So happy to hear about getting the Westie. I am very partial to terriers you know. You know I have the six Yorkies
hide.gif
Yes I do have issues but dogs make me very very happy. I got happy just reading your post! That is good news....
clap.gif

I know what you mean about finding homes for the roo's. I have to just give them away and that is hard because a lot of people around us cant have roosters. So sad for them because the roos are cool. Dont forget I have that lovely neighbor that hates them so I dont feel right about having more than one here. I still hope she moves, lol

Cant wait to see your coop, take lots of pictures.

Has anyone heard from Tommysgirl?

Hi to everyone else
frow.gif

PS, I just found out today I am going to be a Grandma. First one.....
wee.gif

Marie: I am so stinking excited! It is going to be hard to wait, but this breeder does it right and has been for 56 years! I didn't want another westie right after we lost Max, I was afraid to replace him. As time has passed, I have realized all those westie quirks are what make the westie our dog breed. Now, I am all about rescuing... we share our roof with a dog that I truly believe that "if not us, then who would keep her?" But with young children, I fear bringing a dog that is not puppy into our house. Especially a terrier. This way we all can grow together.

Oh those roos. Two of them are mean buggers. Biters already and have been since early on. Even mean old Willie never tried to bite! This time of year, you can't even give them away! The broody coop may need to turn into a winter bachelor pad!

Eta:
TG is OK, she is just taking an emotional break right now and needs some time.

Congratulations on the great news!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom