I Built A Bridge!

Hi folks,
16P, I'm so sorry to hear that they have been poisoned, and possibly by the neighbors! I can't imagine what I'd do in that situation. If it was deliberate, it is definitely a crime. I think that the deliberate killing of someone's chickens would be considered more serious than a more typical pet, because they are livestock/property, plus it's a trespass. Yes, it's not going to be the top of the police's list, but it is a crime they should pay some attention to. I know it's hard to imagine things deteriorating more with you neighbors than this, but it likely will once the police are involved. It just sounds like such an awful situation - I am so sorry you're going through it.

Teila, Kiki and Crystal are gorgeous!

Everything here is fine. The chooketeria arrived today and was easy to set up. Let's see how long it takes for them to figure it out. Even just removing the feeder at night had been saving lots of feed - I can't believe I hadn't thought of that before.

Howdy Liz

Thank You .. I think they are gorgeous also but then I may be a little biased
wink.png

It was interesting that you mention taking away food at night. I did this from Day 1 of chicken owning and it wasn’t until lurking in BYC that I saw that others did not. I can see now why it would be left there, so that they have food early in the morning but I just figured they were not going to eat during the night and took it inside.

I do not have a feeder so knowing how much they usually eat, I pop that into a dish for them. There is always some left over at the end of the day; enough that I know they are not hungry and not too much which would go to waste. The little bit that is left does get thrown into the run, just in case they get up earlier than me
wink.png

I should be outside now, gathering their dishes ready for tomorrow morning, playing with them, giving them meal worms etc but I am not, I am sitting here typing ... Why? This is why ...

Yes, it is raining again ... or should that be still! Tonight will just be a quick trip outside at their bed time to check everyone got off to bed OK, grabbing of dishes and straight back inside.

Teila, I wondered where you were off too, I remember you posting on some thread I was on, and poof you disappeared. I'm glad I found you.
frow.gif

Tee hee Diva

I gave up trying to keep up in the Old Folks Home, but I still lurk in Tara's thread and spend lots of time in the Aussie Thread and here.

I surf the threads a bit and help out if/where I can. Probably a bit like you
wink.png

You can always find me under the Bridge if you want to; nattering away about nothing in particular
caf.gif

Howdy folks
frow.gif

We had yet another significant rain event and our third flood for this season.

So sad this morning to read that lives were lost; I have heard a young family (2 adults and 1 child) were lost, trapped in their car and an elderly gentleman also lost his life; I hope there are not others
sad.png

It took a colleague of mine 5 hours to get home from the school pick up; she left at 3pm and got home at 8pm! She was happy, however, that she got stuck after picking up the girls and not before, at least she had them with her. Meanwhile, her hubby just happens to be interstate and was having a beer and enjoying the sunshine
roll.png

Luckily my son left work early and got home OK but when he got here he looked like he had swum from the bus stop; he was drenched.

Our whole property was 5cms (2 inches or so) under water and again, it was coming in through the front and back doors.

So, the forecast for today is 10% chance of rain in the amount of 0mm; that has put a huge smile on my face!

While the run rain coats helped, they could not contend completely with the deluge and Cilla, KiKi and Crystal’s run still has some puddles this morning but hopefully they will drain before the day is over. At least with the nicer weather I can let them out for a free range. I have hardly seen them in the past two days.

Now the clean up commences; time to wash the flood line off the side of the house (again), sweep up all the debris and try and get back to some degree of normality.

Last edited:
OMG Teila, I had no idea you get floods of that nature. Of course I have no idea about many things in life. So sorry, I know when people are flooded snakes may enter the house. I sincerely hope none do that to you. I know you have poisonous snakes, spiders, etc. I'm sure they are looking for high ground. I think I would hide myself to keep from seeing them
hide.gif
Hope your dry out comes fast.
hugs.gif

Hey Diva, thanks!
smile.png

The problem is, with this being our third significant event this season, the last one 6 weeks or so ago, the ground is just too wet and any rain we get has nowhere to go. With this latest one, some places, including us, got 300mm (11 inches) of rain in a couple of hours.

These are images from our local area:

It stopped raining at 7pm last night, after two days and we still have puddles everywhere, normally they would soak up pretty quickly but not when we are still recovering from the last deluge.

Luckily, no snakes that I have ever seen here as we live in a residential area.

Hopefully we dry out soon, with the wet ground and humidity, lots of risk of health issues with the girls, the conditions being ideal for bacteria/germs
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom