I can sex your pullets and cockerels!

Do you like my thread?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
The comb may be darker than #1 might just be because of their colors being different.
I am leaning towards rooster on #2.
I tried to get another picture of him/her, but that one hates being handled so I wasn't able to get him to come near me. I'm going to stick with what you said though because I was guessing that same. I have 6 babies that I'll have to start guessing on in a few months! Thanks for your help

I tried to get another picture of him/her, but that one hates being handled so I wasn't able to get him to come near me. I'm going to stick with what you said though because I was guessing that same. I have 6 babies that I'll have to start guessing on in a few months! Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_20180531_153608342.jpg
    IMG_20180531_153608342.jpg
    838.3 KB · Views: 8
Here’s another... we believe s/he’s a Barred Rock/Cream Legbar mix. The first photo is a couple of weeks ago (age approx 6 weeks)
FD713B47-2B2C-439B-89D9-34B5176735E5.jpeg
E7B21A34-2AEA-4BAC-AB4B-D38EC949DCEF.jpeg

The last two were taken today (age approx 8 weeks)
F681A438-4F50-462C-BA2A-1767F2E8E9AC.jpeg
0AC8740D-B415-4C13-B0A8-406661BE83DB.jpeg

Too young
View attachment 1352948 View attachment 1352949got these two rir. About 6,7 wks old. Trying to figure sex for both. Pic is of larger one. Smaller one i thought was roo bc of how it stands but has more yellow comb and even the big one has yellow comb points that you cant see well in photo. Starting to think two pullets or larger is roo?
They look like pullets so far
View attachment 1353049 View attachment 1353050 View attachment 1353051 View attachment 1353054 View attachment 1353056 View attachment 1353058 Breed and gender please?
View attachment 1353063 View attachment 1353064 they were supposed to be pullets and "cinnamon queens" but the queens i saw all had straight combs. These two dont
Wyandotte mixes, I'm thinking cockerels
Too young to be sure, but they look like pullets so far
View attachment 1353615 View attachment 1353617 View attachment 1353618 This is Tony Hawk, who is almost 6 weeks old. Can't tell if she's a "she" or "he" -- I also have no idea what breed he is either :idunno

Thanks for the help!
Production red or rhode island red mix, I'm leaning towards cockerel
I guess I'm adding to the mix with these 23 day old Blue Marans (not Blue Copper, just Blue).
There are chicks with more pale combs, like this, which I believe are cockerels. Is that correct?
View attachment 1353698

And there are other chicks, some of whom have fairly significant combs, others not as significant, but they all have some black in their combs and beaks, like these two, which I believe are pullets. Is this a somewhat reliable way to sex Blue Marans?
View attachment 1353711
View attachment 1353714

If there is another way to tell this early, or venture an educated guess, I'm all ears. I can't keepall of these long enough to grow them out, so I'm trying to make educated guesses ... thank you so much!
Too young
Someone told me that when Black Copper Marans chicks start getting copper in their wings like this, they are likely cockerels. What do you say?
View attachment 1353729
View attachment 1353731
This chick has quite a bit of copper on its wings, but the comb looks more like a pullet to me.View attachment 1353739
I don't think that would be accurate at all, but I am no marans expert.

Hen or roo?? 1 Americana and 1 Sussex?
Looking like pullets so far. Also, the americana is an easter egger.
I've got three black sex links and three amberlinks. I think one of each of them might be a rooster. They both have larger Combs and bigger legs. Let me know what you think. View attachment 1358368 View attachment 1358367
The two with large, red combs are cockerels. Also, I think your black sex links might be asian blacks.
I know the barred ones are males, what about the red ones? Also the Black Cochin? Thanks
One of the red ones is most likely a cockerel, I'm unsure about the other one. The cochin is too young.

Last edited:
Someone recently at a high producing chicken farm that they can tell Roos from hens by the little knot on their ankle, if they don’t have one then they are hens but all of them have them, is this knot present on hens and Roos generally?
The thing on their ankle is called a spur, and all chickens have small spur bumps on their legs. Roosters usually get longer spurs as they age, but hens can also get them. By the time roosters have their full spurs in, anyway, you can easily tell they're roosters by other ways.
Bcms 6 weeks

First one is slow feathering compared to the second.

Please help! Thanks!
Cockerels
How old are they? Could you get a full body picture and a picture of their saddle feathers?
Ok here are some new pictures, one of my barred rocks has black legs and one has yellow legs!?

One red one feathered faster than the other one, and one is significantly smaller than the other.
Now that I can see both red chickens, they both look like cockerels. Also, the barred rock with pink legs could be a cuckoo marans, or just a bad quality barred rock.
Nearly 7 week old Easter EggerView attachment 1380021View attachment 1380022
Is this a cockerel?
Most likely a cockerel
All are 9 weeks old, thank you for any help :)
The buff silkie and red cochin with the larger comb are most likely cockerels, the others look like pullets so far.
View attachment 1382108 View attachment 1382109 View attachment 1382107 Pullet or cockerel? 5 weeks old. I don’t know what breed it is, but it has been slow feathering compared to my other chicks. So slow that it has lost some of baby down on its wings befor the adult feathers came in .
Bad quality wyandotte or wyandotte mix, cockerel

Hello. I would like to know if these are roos or hens. The Barred Rock, Sally, is 6 weeks old and the other, Amelia, is 5.5 weeks old. I do not know what breed it is but it has smaller legs and is overall smaller than the BR. If you know the breed I would appreciate identification. I love them both but I cannot have a rooster due to city code. The farm I got them from will take back a rooster. Thank you for your help.
View attachment 1382533 View attachment 1382541.
They look like pullets so far. The buff one is a buff orpington.

Can you help me with my 7 week bantam cochin? I love her/him SO MUCH and I'm hoping we can keep her around. View attachment 1387247 View attachment 1387248
Most likely a pullet
I posted on another thread but didnt get much response. I have an EE that Im unsure of the sex. Sometimes the comb looks like 3 rows, other times it seems like 1 prominent row with tissue on the side. Sometimes it looks like red is coming in and other times it looks darker orange. The coloring is even overall but could change. Hard to say if orange is part of the pattern or not, but doesnt seem splotchy. No behavior noted yet and I cant tell hackle and saddle feathers from normal. Please help. Thank you.
How old is it?
:confused:My Americauna/Orpington chick is 5 weeks now. This is an older pic. Can you sex it?
View attachment 1410992
Too young in the picture
My babies are six weeks old today (and tomorrow)! The ones I hatched anyway. Ive got my suspicions of who is what, but since i cant keep roos, I’d love some help finding out for sure before I end up with angry neighbors.

1-5 are six weeks old, 1-3 being speckled sussex, and 4-7 are all easter eggers. 6 & 7 are 7 weeks and were bought as pullets.

Hopefully the pictures will attach, on my phone and I’ve never posted pictures on this site before. Bear with me! Hehe
1, 5, and 6 are probably cockerels, the rest look like pullets so far.

I know they are so hard to sex! I love guessing though. Thank you! #3 may be a bit too young he's almost two weeks younger than the others. The rest are around 10-11 weeks
1-
View attachment 1411809 View attachment 1411811
2-
View attachment 1411815 View attachment 1411816
3-
View attachment 1411818 View attachment 1411820
4-
View attachment 1411823 View attachment 1411822
5-
View attachment 1411824View attachment 1411826
1 and 2 could be cockerels, but I have no experience in sexing silkies.

View attachment 1412186 Cuckoo Maran about 7 weeks old. I have a strong suspicion it’s a roo but want more experienced opinions.
Most likely a cockerel
Here’s another... we believe s/he’s a Barred Rock/Cream Legbar mix. The first photo is a couple of weeks ago (age approx 6 weeks)
View attachment 1412210 View attachment 1412211

The last two were taken today (age approx 8 weeks)
View attachment 1412212 View attachment 1412213
Easter egger mix cockerel. I think you're right about him being mixed with cream legbar.

Back
Top Bottom