I can't figure out who's laying what!?! Help this newbie....

coop's chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 25, 2009
Southeastern Ontario
I have 10 potential layers and I pretty much know what the standard sized rocks and sexlinks are laying.

I also have a banty leghorn hen who is laying tiny white eggs (I witnessed that). The problem is that I have a baby barred rock (maybe 5 or 6 months old- not really sure), a banty White rock (age unknown also) and a 6 month old Japanese hen. I thought I had it all figured out, but I've started to get a small light cream-coloured egg and the other day got 2 tiny white eggs at once. I had just been out a couple hours before and there were no eggs there. Also, except for the leghorn, I have never seen the other small ones in the nest boxes??

Can someone help me figure out whose laying what? I thought the rock and leghorn were laying the small whites and the Japanese hen maybe the cream-coloured one, but it says that white rocks lay cream to brown eggs??
Any help would be appreciated.

Hehe... I asked this question a couple of months ago and decided that it would just have to remain a mystery! The best suggestion I got was to put a couple of drops of food coloring in the vents of the chickens you suspect. The next morning, there should be traces of food coloring on the eggs and you can match the colors back to the birds.

I've got one black sex link hen that my DH swears is the hen that lays the very big light brown egg every day. Now how he knows this I don't know. The rest of my hens are RIR's and their eggs are different sizes and different colors of brown, from light to dark brown.

I say, who knows?? Just keep it up ladies.

DonnaBelle

Back
Top Bottom