I caught my fox! UPDATED.. now with the VIDEO!

I've tried shooting to scare predators off too, but it seems once they discover the chickens they come back. I even have electric around my pens.

Yeah, we've got electric around the entire backyard (about 2 acres) and I do plan to run a low exterior line of electric around the girls' pasture and barbed wire along the top once we clip their flight feathers. It seems like no matter what we do, the varmints keep coming back asking to be dinner or a trophy. :/

I'm worried about raccoons, foxes and snakes making a meal out of my chickens. We also have fischer cats and hawks here. Aside from hardware cloth..any suggestions on critter-proofing. I won't be killing anything, so a gun is definitely not an option for me.

I have electric wire around my coops and pens. It keeps most everything out. Once the critter touches the wire and gets zapped I'm sure it doesn't come back for more. For hawks string monofilament line across the top of the run.

oh my gosh those poor chicks!!
gig.gif
I would have been terrified to be them!!

I have been at my wits end! I have lost 6 hens this fall, then lost 1 hen a few weeks ago, we set a live trap...didnt catch a thing. The neighbors begal dog was barking its head off & running through our woods...Then I thought I spotted and other dog...nope not a dog A red tail fox! Grr! I'm not a very good shot, so we have tried baiting the trap with all kind of meats. NOTHING.
Yesterday I cam home and I was missing 4- 2 month old chics, Today I cam home and was miss the 1 hen & my daughters pet Cochin, Momma hen & 2 of her 5 day old chic....
I am So Mad! My daughter is so Upset :-( All I have no is 2 rooster, 2 , two wk old cochins that I incubated (my daughter drove me nutz to incubate eggs since the incubator was just given to us) and 1 orphaned 5 day old chic that will not shut up unless I hold it in a towel snug. I'm keeping them in a bird cage in the house until I can secure the hen house & run.
Sorry I'm just venting! I borrowed 2 steel jaw traps in hopes of getting this fox! Sorry PETA folks, but My chickens are more important, they are our beloved pets!
If the traps dont work today & tonight...after seeing your pics & video I'm gonna try that :) THANKS for posting!

Why don't you provide a secured coop and run instead of free food for the predators?

Back
Top Bottom