I crossed a cream legbar with a ----- and this is what I got

Pics

1Chick Magnet

Songster
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
New Hampshire
hi,

I have a cream legbar rooster. I would love to know more about the genitics of this breed. I plan to breed him to other breeds and would love to have some genetic advice.

if anyone has bred legbars to other breeds I would love to know what your results were.
posting photos would be fantastic.

You should try crossing him with a lightbrown colored hen. If you have any welsummers or light brown leghorns, those would be better than many breeds. I crossed my rooster with some rose combed light brown leghorn hens to work on a rose combed legbar. I will breed these back to legbars and just keep the best and breed from them over time. Here are a couple pics of my 'legbarhorns' (what I am calling these chicks)

Back to your original question, I had my french black copper marans rooster over my legbar hen. I got 7/7 babies hatch, and it turns out that is a sex link- the boys had a white spot on their head and were very obviously barred. The females are almost solid black.

Pretty dramatic difference, no?

They're only 8 weeks old now (that picture is a couple weeks old), so they haven't grown out. Also, I sold the two boys because I need more roosters like I need a hole in the head, so I don't have grown pictures. I'm guessing when they lay, they'll lay olive eggs. I'll keep you posted though.

I think to use legbars for a sexlink, you have to have a legbar hen with a black rooster over her. I found this article very informative on making sexlinks: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information

ok, so here is my CLB and a few of his cockerel sons. in and around my compost heap.This first one (freckles) was the cutest little yellow and black chick. His momma is an easter egger who lay beautiful blue eggs. The albinos (sunny and fluffy) were big fluffy yellow chicks. Their momma is a Buff Orpington who lays extra large buff coloured eggs. One of them seems to be a real jerk. He is always last to roost, and being a jerk to all the littles. There are a couple more roos- one from a mystery hen i have, and another from the same Buff Orpington- but he's always in the forest past the poison ivy and hard to get a good pic of. Will try later today!!
IMG_8709.jpg
IMG_8696.JPG
IMG_8719.jpg
IMG_8711.JPG

Sure, I can play!:wee

I crossed a cream legbar (roo) with a buff orpington, auracauna, barnevelder and a splash mystery (maran?) and got this cute pile of chicks!

In this shot they are 2 days old. Updated pictures to come!

Attachments

• 2018 HATCH_9 chicks.JPG
    2018 HATCH_9 chicks.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom