I crossed a cream legbar with a ----- and this is what I got

Updated photos 7 weeks cream legbar cross silkie
20180810_135220.jpg
20180810_135224.jpg
Looks like there cockrels

Love this thread. Even though it’s older it’s been very informative. I have a White Sport Cream Legbar roo and a few different hens I hatched eggs from. The chicks from a White Leghorn are either white or look exactly like a Cream Legbar. They’re 2 months old and I think the white ones are boys and the others are girls. I’ve examined the “girls” and literally cannot see any difference between them and my older Cream legbar pullets. Has anyone else had this happen?

This thread isn’t to dead. I am getting dark Cornish birds soon and in a separate run I have Legbar a and in another black copper Marans
I know that the Legbar female will give sexlinks in all her breeding but will the dark Cornish male contribute something with its darkening gene? Making male chicks darker? Or would that only work coming from the female so only the males get the gene or does the feather darkening not show up as a chick? Just seems like it is based on the hatchery

would I recognize hens from roosters somehow when crossbreeding a white leghorn hen with a cream legbar rooster? for leghorns, feather sexing should do the trick but I don't know if this would work?

would I recognize hens from roosters somehow when crossbreeding a white leghorn hen with a cream legbar rooster? for leghorns, feather sexing should do the trick but I don't know if this would work?
They wouldn’t be sexable at hatch. Both sexes would be barred. They would have dominant white from the leghorn parent so they would likely be white with red barred leakage.

Hi. I have a CCLB rooster and hatched one chick from him and a black star hen last summer. (I only gave my broody 1 egg because she usually flakes after about 5 days, she didn't this time until day 18, so into the incubator that egg went.) The chick was black with a white spot on her head. I ended up with a pullet and she looks very much like a CCLB hen, same pattern, slightly darker, and with a crest. I ended up buying a couple of new chicks so she didn't grow up alone.
I now have set some eggs up in the incubator from all of my girls and my CCLB rooster. 4 have hatched in the last day, 2 from a welsummer hen, one from a black star, and one from a black australorp. I'll update once I know what gender everyone is....

Hi. I have a CCLB rooster and hatched one chick from him and a black star hen last summer. (I only gave my broody 1 egg because she usually flakes after about 5 days, she didn't this time until day 18, so into the incubator that egg went.) The chick was black with a white spot on her head. I ended up with a pullet and she looks very much like a CCLB hen, same pattern, slightly darker, and with a crest. I ended up buying a couple of new chicks so she didn't grow up alone.
I now have set some eggs up in the incubator from all of my girls and my CCLB rooster. 4 have hatched in the last day, 2 from a welsummer hen, one from a black star, and one from a black australorp. I'll update once I know what gender everyone is....
:clap

They wouldn’t be sexable at hatch. Both sexes would be barred. They would have dominant white from the leghorn parent so they would likely be white with red barred leakage.

Hi.

I have 2 chicks leghorn/ legbar ad both are as good as completely white except for some minor grey feathers.based on the wing-sexing at day 1 I presumed 1 hen and 1 rooster.

Meanwhile the 2 chicks are 4 weeks old. I have a cabinet with controlled heath where I raise them. 1 of both is constantly jumping up against the plexiglass; it's the one I presumed to be a rooster. nonetheless... the other chick is just as tall and doesn't seem to show too much difference with the other one. The comb of the rooster is slightly bigger but not too much. none of both have reddish color in them as well.... just hope I have 1 hen. difficult...

also have 1 marans/legbar chick of the same age which I hope is a hen as well but I can't compare to other chicks of the same crossbreed.

fingers crossed

Hi.

I have 2 chicks leghorn/ legbar ad both are as good as completely white except for some minor grey feathers.based on the wing-sexing at day 1 I presumed 1 hen and 1 rooster.

Meanwhile the 2 chicks are 4 weeks old. I have a cabinet with controlled heath where I raise them. 1 of both is constantly jumping up against the plexiglass; it's the one I presumed to be a rooster. nonetheless... the other chick is just as tall and doesn't seem to show too much difference with the other one. The comb of the rooster is slightly bigger but not too much. none of both have reddish color in them as well.... just hope I have 1 hen. difficult...

also have 1 marans/legbar chick of the same age which I hope is a hen as well but I can't compare to other chicks of the same crossbreed.

fingers crossed
I didn’t take into account dominant white’s ability to fade red. Leghorns have big combs, so pullets might show some comb at that age, but only cockerels will have bright red ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom