I did it! Mr. Turkey has gone to glory.

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
It only took a year of mental prep and all y'alls experience hope and strength that you have graciously shared here on these boards, but I did it!

A big shout out to you, Booker1 - I had your chicken tutorial up in the living room the whole time I was gutting so thank you for posting it, it was truly a Godsend.

I chose a BBB from a local lady who raises all kinds of animals to be used in a petting zoo. I bought a pair of Bourbon Reds to hopefully start a flock of my own, and the BBB and a goose for Christmas dinner. (She's hanging on to the goose for me.)

The BBB was at the end of his useful life, poor guy, and was lumbering around so pitifully that it made my decision easier to go through with it.

I didn't take pictures but I will post a pic of the processed bird when I get home tonight. I bet he's 30 lbs.

I'm sore.

Congratulations! I bought my first two turkeys this year.....They're still too small for turkey dinner but maybe later......

Can't wait to see your finished product,

Sharon

butchered my last turkey (destined for freezer).. tom BBW, weighed 40 lb live, 25 skinned, and gutted... that was one BIG breast... To process it, I took the legs, thighs, and wings off- kept them together to freeze... Cut the breast off, froze it... took the back, cut in half, and froze together.. The way I figure it, there's enough meat on the back alone for us 2.

On a side note, my BBW hen, laid ONE egg..just one.. and haven't seen once since (2 weeks ago)

Last edited:
64313_turkey.jpg

Finally remembered to upload his picture. Not the best picture, but you can see him up by the window. He's the one on the platter, not in the high chair.

Back
Top Bottom