Turkey Poults Flip Over Syndrome-F.O.S.-My experience and what I did.

I have read a few posts about poults flipping over, so I am reviving the thread in case anyone is looking for information about how to deal with poults flipping over. I know that this is turkey laying and hatching season and we have a lot of new comers to turkeys. If anyone is experiencing any problems with their poults flipping over, I hope this thread will help. Please post if you have additional questions about flipping over.

Comparing my stats from 2010 to present, I have not had any "flippers" since this problem in 2010. ;)

Has anyone had a poult flip over for more than a week? I've got one that's a week old today and still can't stand/walk on it's own. We've been nursing it since hatching and I'm wondering how long we should give this little guy. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi I am new to the forum but have read many posts when looking for advice.I have been breading a few turkeys for about 6 years now and still learning a lot about them as they say you are never to old to learn. I keep Bourbon reds and crollwitzers. And rear a few double breasted whites for Christmas.What Ican't understand is that I have hatched hundreds of bourbon reds and crollwitzers. and never once had FOS. Yet every year when I hatch the whites I always get 3 or 4 I buy these eggs in. Is this generic in double breasted birds as I am confused with conflicting advice people give me. Some say late hatch (incubator spot on and hatched on correct date with other eggs.) so I have eliminated that. Everything was taking me back to the source of the eggs so tried another supplier of white double breasted but still same results FOS.I was wondering if any one had experienced this in just one breed.

Has anyone had a poult flip over for more than a week? I've got one that's a week old today and still can't stand/walk on it's own. We've been nursing it since hatching and I'm wondering how long we should give this little guy. Any advice would be appreciated.

How is your poult today? It possibly could take more than a week.

It still can't stand or walk on it's own. If we help balance it, it can walk, but as soon as we let go, it falls. It still lays on it's side and paddles.

My kids have been taking such great care of it and they were so hoping it would get better. I'm really starting to think that it's just not going to.:(

It still can't stand or walk on it's own. If we help balance it, it can walk, but as soon as we let go, it falls. It still lays on it's side and paddles.

My kids have been taking such great care of it and they were so hoping it would get better. I'm really starting to think that it's just not going to.:(

What are you doing to keep it mobile so that it doesn't have to move too much? You don't want to continually handle it. It needs to remain in a position so that it can strengthen it's body so that it won't flip anymore.

What are you doing to keep it mobile so that it doesn't have to move too much? You don't want to continually handle it. It needs to remain in a position so that it can strengthen it's body so that it won't flip anymore.

It's just laying in it's box for the most part until it starts crying and then we feed and water it. We did try making a cloth donut for it, but it just wiggles until it's destroyed. Maybe we should try something stronger...... Do you think that it's too late?

It's just laying in it's box for the most part until it starts crying and then we feed and water it.  We did try making a cloth donut for it, but it just wiggles until it's destroyed.  Maybe we should try something stronger......  Do you think that it's too late?

Try to make something stronger. It really needs that support. You can try working with it again but not sure if the time that has passed has effected the likelihood to reverse the damage. When dealing with something like this, you have to be vigil and exhaust all avenues and do not stop to get the results that you need. Let's try to get it into a stronger doughnut hole.

How is it that it's wiggling out? I made a doughnut hole with a large hand cloth. I taped the "walls" with masking tape so that it would stay together. I will try to make an example and post it. The poult never wiggled out of it.

I agree with Steve, that if you have to spend money on them it's no good. I just plan on eating my flipper, not breeding from, so i'll give it a go. same if was to be a pet, yet if a vet bill or medicine was involved, i'd let go.

I am a turkey farmer new to this forum but I thought il give it a try. I am currently raising just over 8000 poults in one of my 11 barns and am having this problem but it isn't something new. My male line toms are the worse. Every 15 mins I am pulling out 20 more flippers and keep them in a separate ring until they are strong enough to go back in with the flock. I have found this is the only thing that will work and yes it does suck and take a lot of time but it will keep your birds from dying. Feel free to msg me questions about your turkey problems

Back
Top Bottom