I didn't realize raising meat birds would be stressful..

My first batch started running into trouble as well. Since then I only put food in front of them for 12 hours a day (after the 3rd week). Seems to help with the health issues but they do grow a bit slower. I'm not in a hurry so I'll use a lower protein mix.

If its hot and they are under a tarp, a slow mist of water on top of tarp keeps things much cooler under the tarp. I used a fogger hose attachement.

2 of my Cornish x died 2 days ago and today one wouldn't eat so we butchered it (only a month old).. maybe its from the layena layer crumbles I feed them but I don't think I want to buy them again.... out of the 60 cornish I bought only half was growing real fast which caused a problem since the smaller ones kept pecking the feathers of the fatter ones..

Jaylyne8 how big of space do you have your chickens in? The pecking could be lack of space.. And you could try a bigger feeder I don't know what you use but it could be that if the feeder is to small the smaller chickens may not be getting as much feed as the ones growing faster. Just thought I'd try to help.

2 of my Cornish x died 2 days ago and today one  wouldn't eat so we butchered it (only a month old).. maybe its from the layena layer crumbles I feed them but I don't think I want to buy them again....  out of the 60 cornish I bought only half was growing real fast which caused a problem since the smaller ones kept pecking the feathers of the fatter ones..

Sorry still figuring out the buttons on this forum. Sorry for posting twice. how big of space do you have your chickens in? The pecking could be lack of space.. And you could try a bigger feeder I don't know what you use but it could be that if the feeder is to small the smaller chickens may not be getting as much feed as the ones growing faster. Just thought I'd try to help.

hi dmack
I use the purina layena crumble but a friend of ours told me to use flock raiser because of the higher protein content... I first bought 40 of them and regardless of the space (which was pretty big) the other half didn't have as much appetite then the other half.. my friend thinks they gave me leghorns and Cornish so she went back to the store and they gave her 23 more and I raised them and the same thing happened... :(

I was giving them meat bird as well. I have switched to a mash which is cheaper and same protein as meat bird feed. It is very possible they gave you something g other then Cornish rocks. I wouldn't be able to tell with out a picture. But I have been hearing a lot lately about this happening. Happened to me once though I was getting guineas ended up with Dutch brown leghorns lol. Any way sounds like your doing every thing right. Cornish X are just a funny bird to raise. But I would switch them to a flock raiser or meat bird feed. Just will depend on what supplier you have and the region you live in.

If you haven't got a cover for their dog kennel run, go get a tarp and put it shiny side up to reflect sunlight.

You can also put a couple of box fans on them to help keep them cooler. If it's in front of a water-source (think plastic kid's sled with water in it), that will help even further.

Those were two tricks I did last summer in our heat waves. Seemed to make the birds a bit more comfortable. Ours didn't react well to being misted with water (even seen a scared chicken?! It's a chicken chicken!) - but that does help also. Any trick you do to keep cool in the heat works for them also.

I do have a tarp over the pen and they're under a tree. I like the fan idea, I might use that idea with the next group which should be ready in about 5wks. Fortunately our temps have dropped for the weekend. I was out of town yesterday but will process the rest (I hope) today. There are 9 left and I'll do all of the biggest first - they're 10wks as of yesterday. I might have to make another cone since the 10 pounder I did a few days ago barely fit.

2 of my Cornish x died 2 days ago and today one  wouldn't eat so we butchered it (only a month old).. maybe its from the layena layer crumbles I feed them but I don't think I want to buy them again....  out of the 60 cornish I bought only half was growing real fast which caused a problem since the smaller ones kept pecking the feathers of the fatter ones..

Yes, the layer crumbles are part of your problem.
If you feed a diet high in calcium and phosphorus to very young birds, it can damage their kidneys, so don’t begin feeding layer feed until pullets are at least 18 weeks old. CornishX aren't the hardiest birds in the first place. I would switch them immediately to either FlockRaiser or starter/grower.

These are the four I processed at 11wks, L-R 8.5lbs, 7.5, 8.0 and 8.4. I've been using the Food Saver with large bags but I had to cut up the 3 larger ones and bag them in pieces because the bag wouldn't hold anything bigger than 7.5lb. Unfortunately I still have 4 more to do so they'll be 12wks Saturday and that's the first chance I'll have to finish them. Other than one pullet lost at 7wks and my "emergency" processing a couple of weeks ago I think I've been pretty lucky with these.

These are the four I processed at 11wks, L-R 8.5lbs, 7.5, 8.0 and 8.4. I've been using the Food Saver with large bags but I had to cut up the 3 larger ones and bag them in pieces because the bag wouldn't hold anything bigger than 7.5lb. Unfortunately I still have 4 more to do so they'll be 12wks Saturday and that's the first chance I'll have to finish them. Other than one pullet lost at 7wks and my "emergency" processing a couple of weeks ago I think I've been pretty lucky with these.
Beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom