I dont know what to do anymore

I have a heeler who is a rescue dog and she does great with the chickens. She's also a loudmouth which is good because we have bears and mountain lions around here, both of which are scared of dogs so her barking is enough. It sounds funny that those predators would be scared of a dog barking but it's true.

I'm glad your parents are supportive of you and I hope you get your little farm soon. I also hope you don't take your brother and his girlfriend along with you, I couldn't tell from your post if you were considering letting them live on your farm. A farm is a lot of work and everyone needs to pitch in and help ! You don't need people mooching off you and not being supportive. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
I have a heeler who is a rescue dog and she does great with the chickens. She's also a loudmouth which is good because we have bears and mountain lions around here, both of which are scared of dogs so her barking is enough. It sounds funny that those predators would be scared of a dog barking but it's true.

I'm glad your parents are supportive of you and I hope you get your little farm soon. I also hope you don't take your brother and his girlfriend along with you, I couldn't tell from your post if you were considering letting them live on your farm. A farm is a lot of work and everyone needs to pitch in and help ! You don't need people mooching off you and not being supportive. Best of luck to you!

Thank You! The original plan was is that they were supposed to go and help more with the inside of the house since they didnt want to deal with the animals which would free up everyone elses time to pitch in towards the animals. But they cant even show that theyre willing to do it now so Im trying to talk my parents out of taking them with us. Its not fair for us to do all the work and them enjoy the spoils. Thats great to hear about your heeler. They are easier to find around my neck of the woods then an actual LGD so maybe I'll have to look into one of those. I know a farm is a lot of work but I absolutely love it so far. The physical labor never bothered me and I can actually clean my chicken coop in about 20 minutes. Its the perfect size I need for right now without being overally huge.

We have a husky that is usually pretty good at keeping away the racoons and stuff but he is unfortunately getting old and going blind and deaf. The other reason I want a dog, not sure how much longer he is going to be around and then my predator protection is completely gone. My little dog does nothing but bark. Wont chase anything but I love her dearly.

I have to great pyraneese mixed with antolian shepherd, and they weigh about 150 pounds... meaning they could eat you out of house and home.
I can't spell..! unless you've got a lot of room for them to run, I would get another breed....
they are sometimes diggers....!
Maybe get a mixed breed pup from the shelter....they are good with kids and usually other animals...
they also live longer.....and don't get the problems you have with pure breeds....
Any dog can become a good watch dog and warn you of things that don't belong on the property... =)

I have to great pyraneese mixed with antolian shepherd, and they weigh about 150 pounds... meaning they could eat you out of house and home.
I can't spell..! unless you've got a lot of room for them to run, I would get another breed....
they are sometimes diggers....!
Maybe get a mixed breed pup from the shelter....they are good with kids and usually other animals...
they also live longer.....and don't get the problems you have with pure breeds....
Any dog can become a good watch dog and warn you of things that don't belong on the property... =)

Im going to do some more research before investing in a dog. I'm thinking something a bit smaller now. Ive always heard of the great guarding skills with the cattle dogs, my dad knows a couple truck drivers that use them to guard their trucks, but was afraid something like that wasnt going to be good around the chickens. But maybe if I get something of the sorts with the right training it would be okay. I would love to adopt from the shelter. I really would. The thing about that is all the shelters around me have Pit mixes. And while I have nothing against the breed I just dont think they are the right one for me. But I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open.

EggSighted4Life-
Thank you for sharing your story with me. It's sad that you have all that going on in your family, but at least you have risen above it.

I know that a dog isnt going to be able to do much against a mountain lion. I dont think thats whats taking them at all. I do have a trap set and unfortunately havent caught anything yet or have I seen anything but a stray cat which could very well be the culprit. Have yet to catch that either. I know about the extra work and training and realize it will have to stay outside. I have had dogs before and am no stranger to the training of them or any of the sort. I was thinking of bringing the dog in at night as well since everyone is locked up securely. Is that possible? But like you I live in a somewhat heavy predator area with coydogs coming into our back yard! Its why to me a dog to guard not only my livestock but my family as well is ideal. I dread when my five year old goes outside especially since I dont know whats picking off my animals. I would love if I could find a mix of any sort. I have one right now but she is kind of small to do any real damage and very docile. Mainly barks, wont even chase mice or squirrels.
idunno.gif

Your heeler does good with your chickens? I love the looks of the heelers and wouldnt mind one of those at all I just didnt realize they wouldnt attack the chickens.

PennyChickens1-
I have thought about motion sensors, but they are not being grabbed at night when they are locked up. It was during the day and when no one was outside. If I am outside with the chickens all is fine. But alas work keeps me from that dream job.

And yes it is the same with my brother and his girlfriend. They have to be asked to feed their cat, to keep their room clean and they are in their 20s. I know dogs are expensive to feed we had a bull mastiff once that made our dog food bill go through the roof. Only reason we dont have her anymore is because she went after my daughter. Bad breeding there. I do not fault the breed whatsoever I fault her breeder.
That was not a cat that scalped your chicken. There are very specific behaviors of certain predators. Maybe check one of the predator threads by searching that little bar at the top of the page.

I believe most dogs can be trained to not go after your chickens. The most annoying thing about my heeler is his happy bark! It is high pitched. My hound mix has a much harder time, I can see her discomfort. But we have a relationship and she knows what's expected. The real little chicks are also a lot harder for them not to "enjoy the little squeaky toy". So I don't let the chicks free range until they are 7 weeks old or so. My heeler need attention, a lot of it. But he is a good boy. When his doggie friends come over for play dates, he goes between the other dogs and the chickens until the other dogs calm down. He is super gentle with babies and looks to me for guidance. Has stranger danger, which is OK, I call him my "seeing evil dog" (like seeing eye). He heels us with his lips if he feels the need, but has never touched us with his teeth. I thought I would never get a heeler because my cousin had 1 when we were kids that would nip us every time we turned out backs on it. But like you said, It's the owner not the breed. Each dog no matter what breed is an individual. I am not necessarily advocating heelers, but I do advocate shelter dogs! I have never been disappointed with them and there are many pure breeds if that's what you want. And they will appreciate you! You sound like you have the confidence to successfully raise a good dog with your daughter and the chickens! If your brother doesn't like it.... too bad, He is not obligated to stay!
wink.png

I spend about $60 month feeding my 3 dogs. The heeler weighs 45#s and the other to are 65#s each. However when I lived in Bakersfield and had 2 dogs, we were burglarized for more than 10k worth of stuff while I was gone to the dog park at 10 am! We made the decision to have 3 dogs so 1 could go and 2 could stay, taking turns. All 3 serve different aspect. My hound alerts as she runs away, my bully does back up after being alerted, my heeler will meet at the fence and bite if needed , not much barking (that's for people). For animals... it's on (for all 3)! The piece of mind that comes from knowing I won't be violated in my own home again, plus the love, joy, and unconditional acceptance I get from the dogs far out weigh what I spend in food and picking up dog poo (although 3 might be a bit much to have inside the house).

What are you baiting your trap with? I hear wet cat food works well!

So are your chickens being grabbed in the run or free range? Quick list of predators I know of... raccoon, mink, weasel, fisher, mole, dog. coyote, fox, owl, hawk, skunk, ferret, not usually domestic cat. I am sure I missed some like bear, mountain lion and bob cat depending on where you live. But I agree a dog will help protect not just your livestock nut also your family.

As odd as it sounds, we let the dog pick us. So hang out with a few and see who stays by you and shows interest if you are selecting from a group. And when I go to the shelter, I have a purpose but not a specific breed in mind. The females seem to need to be closer or more needy than the males has been my experience. The females guard the people while the males guard the property but still loyal to the people, just not as needy. But of course again, they are all individuals.

I hope I have been encouraging to you. I am honored that you didn't waste time putting down your brother or being ugly towards them. Hang in there!

EggSighted4Life-
I'll have to check that out. The reason I thought the cat was because its not a domestic cat at this point, more feral. Wont even let any of us within 10 feet before running and occasionally is seen getting through a hole in our shed. The chickens have all been grabbed free range. And usually when no one is outside so that would be about 4pm or so until they go into the coop at night when it gets dark. Thats sad to hear about your house being burglarized. Im glad you found a solution that works for you however.

The trap has wet cat food in it and so far nothing. I'm thinking of maybe putting some cooked chicken in there and moving the trap to another location to see if that works. But one of the chickens was grabbed from right inside the coop. She was broody and I went up about 10 am to check for eggs and boot her off the nest to a mess of feathers and her dead and nibbled on out back of the coop. Of course this was the day I was finally breaking and was going to buy some hatching eggs for her. The luck. And since her its been 2 other chickens completely gone and a duck. The chickens I've taken to keeping locked in their coop for now with a fan and plenty of water and food. I'm hoping maybe without food easily available at all times it might make its way into the trap. As for the chicken that got partially scalped, I'm not sure when that happened since my dad locked them in that night and I didnt notice it until that morning. She and another one have taken to not going into the coop at night and just roosting wherever. So it couldve happened at any point!

And yes you have been absolutely encouraging. I appreciate all the advice and info. I am searching other humane societies around me as we speak to see what they have before making the drive to visit.

mustang65-
I have looked on craigslist and will continue to do so but so far nothing yet that has jumped out to me and said that could be the one.

A lot of heelers have their tails docked. It is completely unnecessary IMO. From what I understand it was done to hide their heritage or side effects of inbreeding which is how all pure breeds came to be. And is also the reason for certain health issues prevalent to them. I wouldn't let those detour me from getting a full breed dog or 1 with a docked tail.

The issue I have with CL is that a lot of times the pets aren't fixed or vaccinated. It's a personal choice. Also, I refuse to buy from back yard breeders who are just trying to make a $ and keep doing it with no care for all the pets being put down everyday. If they have any concern for the animals health they should at least have vaccines.

It's OK that you know a bully breed is not right for you. Sadly that is what is in most shelters I've been to. Also sometimes you have to keep going back until you find the right dog. I visited the shelter 3 times before finding the right dog. If it's not right, you won't be doing the dogs or yourself a favor. So be patient and like you say, do more research and think about what will truly meet your needs.

You sound like a responsible and caring person.

Sorry for hogging your thread, I just wanna share what little experience I do have. And I want the best for all people, even those I don't agree with or care for.

Best wishes!

A lot of heelers have their tails docked. It is completely unnecessary IMO. From what I understand it was done to hide their heritage or side effects of inbreeding which is how all pure breeds came to be. And is also the reason for certain health issues prevalent to them. I wouldn't let those detour me from getting a full breed dog or 1 with a docked tail.

The issue I have with CL is that a lot of times the pets aren't fixed or vaccinated. It's a personal choice. Also, I refuse to buy from back yard breeders who are just trying to make a $ and keep doing it with no care for all the pets being put down everyday. If they have any concern for the animals health they should at least have vaccines.

It's OK that you know a bully breed is not right for you. Sadly that is what is in most shelters I've been to. Also sometimes you have to keep going back until you find the right dog. I visited the shelter 3 times before finding the right dog. If it's not right, you won't be doing the dogs or yourself a favor. So be patient and like you say, do more research and think about what will truly meet your needs.

You sound like a responsible and caring person.

Sorry for hogging your thread, I just wanna share what little experience I do have. And I want the best for all people, even those I don't agree with or care for.

Best wishes!

No need to be sorry at all I appreciate all the info truly! And I understand what you mean. The bull mastiff we had unfortunately was not the right fit for our family and she went back to the breeder. Then again it would have been good if the breeder had told me the mom had been aggressive with the puppies because then I wouldnt have gotten her at all. Unfortunately she didnt and the poor dog inherited the aggressiveness and went after my small dog a couple times. I couldnt deal with it after that. I love animals to death and if I could would take all the shelter dogs with me and the cats. Thats another requirement with a shelter dog. Has to be good with cats as we have two. But I plan to take my time and find the right fit for our family. Especially with my daughter.

It's doable. Not sure which is easier, puppy or dog. It will also be important for them to get along with the other dogs, I'm sure you already have that requirement to.

Follow your heart and you will KNOW when it's the right one.

Hubby and I rarely agree on much (we don't fight either), so when we find something we both agree on we consider it to be destiny.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom