I dont know what to do anymore

It's doable. Not sure which is easier, puppy or dog. It will also be important for them to get along with the other dogs, I'm sure you already have that requirement to.

Follow your heart and you will KNOW when it's the right one.

Hubby and I rarely agree on much (we don't fight either), so when we find something we both agree on we consider it to be destiny.
smile.png

I know what you mean about knowing its the right one. It was that way with my small dog Raven. I picked her up as a puppy she was the smallest out of the bunch and I just knew she was meant for me. That sounds like destiny to me
smile.png

All the dogs I've had have been from puppies. Except our husky wasnt when we got the cats and it took him a little bit but he adjusted so I'm really not sure.

craigs list usually has people who can't take their animals with them when they move... a lot of places don't allow animals.

a lot of them do have their shots ... just ask for vet records...

I'm sure there are puppy mill's selling puppies....but up here....they are usually flagged....and people are always
leaving nasty messages to those people...

just use good judgement..... =)

From what I've read and heard about Livestock guardian dogs, is that they need to live with your flock and consider it their family. Also some breeds like Gr.Pyrenees need to be fenced in on your property or they will start protecting, stock on any farms near you. They keep increasing their area.

If you could focus on a certain breed or couple of breeds, why not see if any breed rescue dogs are available. Sometimes people give up dogs because they live in an apartment and cattle, sheep, poultry dogs need room and a job to keep happy.

Your brother & wife/girlfriend , are really moochers and taking advantage of your mom. They will never learn to be responsible and pay their way and have a decent job unless she insists on certain behaviors from them. They don't show the slightest bit of gratitude. Maybe they could live for awhile with HER family and see if they will teach them rules.

From what I've read and heard about Livestock guardian dogs, is that they need to live with your flock and consider it their family. Also some breeds like Gr.Pyrenees need to be fenced in on your property or they will start protecting, stock on any farms near you. They keep increasing their area.

If you could focus on a certain breed or couple of breeds, why not see if any breed rescue dogs are available. Sometimes people give up dogs because they live in an apartment and cattle, sheep, poultry dogs need room and a job to keep happy.

Your brother & wife/girlfriend , are really moochers and taking advantage of your mom. They will never learn to be responsible and pay their way and have a decent job unless she insists on certain behaviors from them. They don't show the slightest bit of gratitude. Maybe they could live for awhile with HER family and see if they will teach them rules.

I have read that about the livestock dogs so I am at this point focusing on some more research. The nice thing is we dont have any other farms in the immediate area surrounding us but no one complains about the chickens either. I am looking at rescue dogs and mixed breeds because so far from what I have gathered and from advice given is that any dog can kind of be a guard dog for my chickens with the right training. So I am looking at other breeds as well hoping to find something that will suit what I need. I am open to suggestions :) ..

And as for my brother and girlfriend they have been told plenty of times that if they do not like what happens in the house they dont have to stay. The just still choose to stay. My dad has basically told them they have no say to what goes on since they dont pay rent or really help out. No they dont show any gratitude at that is maybe what is most frustrating for me. Its that they are willing to use the eggs and will be willing to eat chicken soup when I butcher my older girls and such but yet can turn around and complain about how I have too many and that we dont need them all. My main reason for getting so many this year was for the holiday baking season. My girls couldnt keep up last year and that was with 8 of them.

I have read that about the livestock dogs so I am at this point focusing on some more research. The nice thing is we dont have any other farms in the immediate area surrounding us but no one complains about the chickens either. I am looking at rescue dogs and mixed breeds because so far from what I have gathered and from advice given is that any dog can kind of be a guard dog for my chickens with the right training. So I am looking at other breeds as well hoping to find something that will suit what I need. I am open to suggestions :) ..

And as for my brother and girlfriend they have been told plenty of times that if they do not like what happens in the house they dont have to stay. The just still choose to stay. My dad has basically told them they have no say to what goes on since they dont pay rent or really help out. No they dont show any gratitude at that is maybe what is most frustrating for me. Its that they are willing to use the eggs and will be willing to eat chicken soup when I butcher my older girls and such but yet can turn around and complain about how I have too many and that we dont need them all. My main reason for getting so many this year was for the holiday baking season. My girls couldnt keep up last year and that was with 8 of them.
Yum, I love baking season!
wink.png

Yum, I love baking season!
wink.png
That makes two of us! I go apple picking with my daughter in september and october. Theres a place not to far from me that does a bushel of apples for 25 dollars on thursdays so we go through and pick 2 huge bag fulls of all different kinds of apples and then I make pies, cakes, crisps, pie filling, and we always have some for eating as well. But during the winter months and especially around the holidays I make a lot of different treats from cookies, to cakes, to brownies. To whatever recipe looks yummy on pintrest. I've even made some pretty awesome homemade biscottis. I am hoping maybe my one lone duck may be laying towards the baking season so I can try her eggs in my cakes and such. The main reason I wanted ducks. And I may have a very small... Who am I kidding its quite large of a sweet tooth. But hey, most everything I bake is from scratch so that has to count for something right?

Just an update for everyone who offered me kind, encouraging words of wisdom and advice, my dad and I are going to look at pyrenees german shepherd mix puppies on Saturday. I have seen pictures of them and all are gorgeous so hopefully one of those babies will be coming home with me to start its training as my flock guard. Thank you all again.

Just an update for everyone who offered me kind, encouraging words of wisdom and advice, my dad and I are going to look at pyrenees german shepherd mix puppies on Saturday. I have seen pictures of them and all are gorgeous so hopefully one of those babies will be coming home with me to start its training as my flock guard. Thank you all again.
That's nice that your dad is going with you. Is your daughter also going?

I think shepherds are good for outdoors because of heavy shedding. I probably won't have one indoors again, but that's just me. Also a little big for indoors, maybe. Trust me when I say every thing we have has some form of dog hair in it, yum!
smile.png

Also longer hair is good for cooler climates and shorter if it's hot, if those are considerations for you.

Hope your meeting goes well! Thanks for the update. I will look forward to the next one being a pic!
wink.png

Good luck on picking out a puppy! I too would love to see a pic if you get one.

By the way, maybe you should get another duck too. I just felt kinda sorry for your "lone duck" as you called her, because my ducks are extremely sociable and would be quite sad not to have their ducky friends. Duck eggs are fantastic! And my ducks lay better than the chickens do. Plus everyone needs more ducks in their life!

Good luck on picking out a puppy! I too would love to see a pic if you get one.

By the way, maybe you should get another duck too. I just felt kinda sorry for your "lone duck" as you called her, because my ducks are extremely sociable and would be quite sad not to have their ducky friends. Duck eggs are fantastic! And my ducks lay better than the chickens do. Plus everyone needs more ducks in their life!
I actually thought the same thing about the ducky.

Are the duck eggs really fantastic?

Back
Top Bottom