I don't know what to do with my rooster!

bloom chicks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
FL
Today my BR rooster (not the alpha) went up to my daughter (she is 4yrs old) and knocked her down. He has challenges my husband and he has run up to me from behind and has kicked me.He hasn't "hurt" us yet but I don't want to wait until he does. He is about 7 months old he doesn't have his spurs yet. Should I just get rid of him! Will he get worse or is this a stage? Thank you for your input and advice!

If he is going after your daughter, I would consider re-homing him or culling him. You could try grabbing him and carrying him around like a cuddly baby to humble him, but I don't know that it will change his behavior for sure. Folks have mixed success with things like that.

I have tried cuddling him, giving him treats, my husband turned him upside down, I have seperated him from the others over night....... I am at a total loss with him.......

My advice is to rehome him or eat him. No way should you put up with that behavior from any chicken. If it wasn't for the fact that he already went after your little girl you could TRY to stop his behavior, but to me, that just isn't worth the risk of him really hurting her when he does it again.

Hmm, that's unfortunate. And he's not even the dominant rooster, either. I would seriously consider getting rid of him if he's not improving
sad.png

That's a sure sign of a soup pot rooster. Unless you can find him a home that wants a VERY hardcore protective rooster (and they do exist), he's headed to the freezer camp.

Sorry, hon.
hugs.gif

Today my BR rooster (not the alpha) went up to my daughter (she is 4yrs old) and knocked her down. He has challenges my husband and he has run up to me from behind and has kicked me.He hasn't "hurt" us yet but I don't want to wait until he does. He is about 7 months old he doesn't have his spurs yet. Should I just get rid of him! Will he get worse or is this a stage? Thank you for your input and advice!

Were I you, I would do everything in my power to ensure that his genes and behavior had no chance of remaining with my flock.

I agree with the re-homing or culling, eating...whatever you choose. He probably won't get better, only worse. And the older he gets the more he will hurt! In fact, it's really surprising how much they can hurt you, even through thick jeans. Don't take a chance with your childs safety, she's too young and little to fend him off herself.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom