I finally did it!!

DO NOT DIG post holes near that gas line. In fact, since you likely aren't sure EXACTLY where the gas line is, have the gas company (and if there is any buried power the electric company) come and make sure there is nothing where you want to dig post holes.

The law in Vermont (and I presume it is common in most states) says gas and power lines need to be 18" down so you don't need to worry about the chickens digging into them.

There are deep tap roots under the trunk and lots of feeder roots that spread out higher. You will find feeder roots all the way out to the drip line (widest part of the canopy). Watering a large tree at the base is a waste. Nature waters them at the drip line, which is why the feeder roots are there.

They actually just recently came out (maybe August?) because we were going to redo our sewer so that's where the flags came from, they marked when they were here or I think we had them come out before the town people. But yeah, that's relatively recent.

That's good the chickens wouldn't likely get to them though. :) I just thought maybe if they dig enough or made a dust bath haha

But oh wow, that actually makes a lot of sense and I never realized you were supposed to water further out. So the roots don't really usually go past the canopy? So from the small ones we should be okay? But I just realized all these huge pines probably have big roots

I think it is unlikely there would be anything problematic much past the drip line. I expect the feeder roots grow outward as the tree and its canopy expand. But that wouldn't be a problem for posts you already have in.

Moving the pallets out of the truck is a lot harder than anticipated lol

But then again I'm doing it all by myself

Guess you'll be getting up PRETTY EARLY in the morning! Are you tracking them? Mine from Meyer spent an entire day and a half in Cleveland. NO update when they LEFT Cleveland so we had no idea if they were still there or on their way to Nashua. The scan in Nashua showed them leaving for Vermont at 1 AM I think. Of course I was in bed before then and IIRC, that update didn't show until after the PO called me at 6 AM.

The PO likes the chicks (chickens, turkeys, ducks) to be picked up ASAP. YOU want to get them quick because they are your birds and you are EXCITED and want to get them water and food. The PO wants them out because:
  • All that peeping can get on one's nerves
  • They don't necessarily know squat about chicks
  • They take up room

My wife is a PO clerk and knows chicks. Usually people come right in but every now and then ... This past summer she had boxes of chicks twice that she had to water because the people could not come in until later in the afternoon. I don't know what shape they would be in if they landed in a place where the clerk(s) just put them aside like any other package.

Apparently there's a message on the answering machine that the chicks are in but I thought the number said FL ao i didn't answer so it's probably from an hour or two ago i feel so bad omg i hope they're alive. We don't even have a spot ready. I'm so scared

Back
Top Bottom