I finally got rid of the TV...

I wish we could; its ridiculous what they charge for showing the same dang things over and over. I don't do the movie channels, they are a joke, but my husband LOVES TCM and ACM, and to give up some of the other junk we never ever watch (like all the sports, and music and educational
droolin.gif
ones) I have to give them up too, and in the bad winter months he really does enjoy them. . .wish I had the nerve to cut them off for the summer months . . . then reconncect in October . . . but I'm weak, I tell ya' WEAK!! I am so proud and envious of you guys!!! I love to read but our 8 year old would probably pass out from not having his Spongebob. I think it would pay to get a DVD burner and record all of that stuff during the winter . .. and then you would have it all summer to watch!! I might just do that!!!!

Had mine shut off 3 yrs ago and never missed it a bit. All that was on was just crap. I have my puter and spend my free time on here. I just figured it out and i've saved 1600 bucks in 3 yrs. Not bad. I do a lot of reading just before bed. Woody

Our TV has been generally off for a while now, not even sure how long. Maybe 7, 8 years now?

We do have an antenna that gets TWO whole stations and PBS isn't one of them, and both stations are Retro TV (digital channels running oldies until everyone had digital) So my kids are discovering the A-Team and the old Alfred Hitchcock series, Twilight Zone and Night Gallery, Knight Rider and EMERGENCY! And then they show OLD commercials, which are pretty funny - they all know and can sing the Slinky Song and mimic those old High Karate Aftershave commercials and the really old ones for Frosted Flakes.

They like those old shows (and find the hair-do's and clothing in some eras hilarious!) and they don't watch all day & night, just one or two programs a day.

In fact, the pop songs in the 1970's and 80's shows have given my teens a liking for some of groups - my 16 year old now listens to Journey and STYX. He says its great to finally find music with words you can understand! (which is what my parents complained about back then about these same groups - "I can't understand a word of that horrible song! Are you sure those are men? Why does he look like he's got his hair permed?"
gig.gif
This I find very amusing!)

Limited exposure to TV has been good for all of us, I think.

We have a TV, but no cable or rabbit ears. We will watch a movie occasionally, but it's been a great thing for us. We spend more time on the internet
hide.gif
, but also more time outside and working in the yard. We don't have time to get our money's worth out of it, anyways.

The only thing that I missed was having TV while I folded laundry, but I just park it in front of the computer now, and go to hulu!!
lau.gif
Works exceptionally well!

Quote:
I totally agree about encouraging kids to find other means of entertainment
Encouraging kids to spend more time outdoors and not vegging out in front of the TV for 6-8 hours a day......
I have a couple of grandkids who would do well to spend lots less time in front of the TV and computer and video games.
They are both morbidly obese ...
both weighing 2 x the normal weight
ep.gif

for thier age and height.
sad.png

Both are only 12 years old and each will be dealing with severe health problems by the time they are in thier 20's of not sooner...
sad.png

It breaks my heart to see this happening to them....I do my best to keep them active when they are here...but that time is not enough to balance the time they dont spend out of doors.
sad.png

I could do well without the TV but hubby would go bananas...
roll.png

We haven't had cable for 6 years and once the switch goes to digital we won't have anything to watch except movies. I figure since it's close to summer and the kids being out of school what's the point of buying a new TV now. We're usually outside for the next 3 months anyway.

We haven't had cable for almost three years... We don't watch it and don't miss it. There's never anything good on when I have time to watch TV anyway.

The Internet is far more entertaining than TV, IMHO.

I am so glad that I am normal! I was starting to think something was wrong with me that I don't really watch TV.
Nice to know that WE are the normal ones. lol

Before I logged on I was just saying to me DH & DS that I am going to have the Sky TV switched off for the summer, we hardly watch it, and we will still have the standard freeview channels to watch if we need them. I will save £46.00 per month .... so yeah!!!

We're thinking of doing the same thing and getting a digital antenna. You know, we watch very little TV (even the kids), but I'm still worried I'll regret it during those few moments when I WANT them to be able to watch cartoons. Silly, I know.

Mostly, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a news station to turn on when I want to catch up on the news!

Back
Top Bottom