I got a visitor today...

Keep her separated for 2 weeks, that should reveal any issues. Otherwise just give her plenty of food and water and monitor for any signs or symptoms. Ointment on wounds was good. Also, if you could give her success to a dust bathing area in the yard that will help her.

Anyway, what's with the red ribbon? What am I missing here? Was it a crude way to prevent her from flying over fences or something? Sounds mighty cruel.

I came home from the grocery store and found a chicken in my yard.
She was a mess, covered in filth with a bloody beak. She had a red ribbon tied around her back and wings, and it was so tight I had to use scissors to cut it off. Part of the ribbon was even cutting into under the poor thing's wing. The skin under her wing had an odd green tinge to it as well, probably because of bruising. I assume that she escaped her previous home and heard my rooster, so she flew into my yard. Her wounds were pretty minor, but I put some ointment on them anyway to prevent infection.
Apart from that, she looks overall healthy. Bright eyes and a red comb and waddle. I even checked her for mites and found none. I moved my three Silkies from one of my coops and put her in. She started scratching once she got used to it.
I am happy to welcome her into my flock, but my one concern is if she has any illness that she could pass over to my chickens. She looks healthy (apart from the cuts and bruises) but I am wondering if this will be a problem. She is right next door to one of my coops, and isn't far away at all from another.
Any information you have about how to help this poor girl and if my ladies are safe will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I would quarantine her for about two weeks, then move her into a pen close to them so they all get used to each other before putting her in with your flock (so they all don't decide she is an intruder and constantly peck at her).

I have a Pearl Guinea that showed up at my house and helped himself into my Lavender Guinea flock. He is now named Squatter since he is not mine. I told his owner, and he said that all of his other guineas had been killed (he lets them roost in trees instead of in a coop) and he didn't care that Squatter was in my flock if I didn't care, so Squatter remains.

I came home from the grocery store and found a chicken in my yard.
She was a mess, covered in filth with a bloody beak. She had a red ribbon tied around her back and wings, and it was so tight I had to use scissors to cut it off. Part of the ribbon was even cutting into under the poor thing's wing. The skin under her wing had an odd green tinge to it as well, probably because of bruising. I assume that she escaped her previous home and heard my rooster, so she flew into my yard. Her wounds were pretty minor, but I put some ointment on them anyway to prevent infection.
Apart from that, she looks overall healthy. Bright eyes and a red comb and waddle. I even checked her for mites and found none. I moved my three Silkies from one of my coops and put her in. She started scratching once she got used to it.
I am happy to welcome her into my flock, but my one concern is if she has any illness that she could pass over to my chickens. She looks healthy (apart from the cuts and bruises) but I am wondering if this will be a problem. She is right next door to one of my coops, and isn't far away at all from another.
Any information you have about how to help this poor girl and if my ladies are safe will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
I commend you for taking her on as a rescue. My first thought was she was dropped off when you left on your errands & having to fend for herself, she may have been mauled or hurt when tossed out.
Quarantine is always a good thing. If any of your chickens have not been vaccinated for Meryks (sp) the un vaxed run a high risk of contracting it. Vaccinated chicks will slough off the disease and infect them.
Your kindness to her in her need is so loving!

Back
Top Bottom