I got my babies!

debikm

Chirping
Feb 17, 2019
NE Florida
I introduced myself here about a month ago, waiting for my chicken accommodations to be finished. They are, and I am now the proud momma of five Jersey Giant pullets, although, to be honest, if one of them is a rooster I don't mind, they're beautiful birds.

I had planned on getting Rhodies, because that's what we had many years ago, but there weren't any at the store, so I whipped the phone out for a quick web search as decided these would be good too. I want them for eggs and pets, nobody is going to end up in the pot, even if they quit laying.

While they aren't what I planned for, I'm already sure they will be better birds for my purposes. They're big, so predators will be less likely to mess with them and they're said to be docile, which I'd prefer as pets. This is exciting!

upload_2019-3-30_16-4-40.gif
Congrats!

Ohmygoodness! Sooo cute!

You don’t have to let them completely alone... just don’t tire them too much or let them get cold. It depends on your desired management style. If you want pets, or pet-like behaviors, then regular handling is helpful for that. Speak to them... baby talk, coo, whatever is your style. :) They’re your chickens. You’re a responsible adult, not a careless child. You can hold them if you want to. (I’m telling you this because I wish someone had pointed this out to me with my first batch, though they’re friendly enough now.)

Back
Top Bottom