I got my chicks from poultry hollow in brush creek Tn what is your experience with this hatchery?

mellielovesbantams

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2023
I got my chicks from poultry hollow in brush creek I have had them a month now, The sultan had the sneezes but he is better now. My main concern is I heard bad things about them on here and in reviews online searching. and now I am worried they will get sick. Right now they seem fine, they do not seem to be sick at all.
Has anyone had good chickens from there for years? Has anyone had any dealings with this hatchery that are positive or any very recent negative problems with them?

Last edited:
Where are you reading this and how old are the threads that you're reading?
The mareks vaccination, IF you order more chicks will NOT prevent the disease, it just *usually* prevents the tumors that can cause issues. IF your birds have mareks, and you don't want them, you have to cull them, not give them away, and sanitize your coop and just let the area rest for awhile.

As far as I know, they are not sick now, they all seem fine. I am one of those people who manage to find stuff to worry about constantly, lol.
But now that leads to another question. If the chicks are vaccinated and get Mareks does that mean it won't kill them?

I got my chicks from poultry hollow in brush creek I have had them a month now, The sultan had the sneezes but he is better now. My main concern is I heard bad things about them on here and now I am worried they will get sick.
I was going to order some more from crackle hatchery and get the chicks vaccinated for mareks will that keep them safe if my poultry hollow chickens get sick?
Has anyone had good chickens from there for years?
Should I get rid of the 12 chickens from poultry hollow and start over ?
Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Marek's doesn't cause sneezing.. And also doesn't pass through hatching eggs. (many other things can, seen in following link)

https://doc.woah.org/dyn/portal/dig...igidoc.xhtml:downloadAttachment.openStateless

The Marek's vaccinated chicks have to be quarantined for at least two weeks for it to become effective.. and then the vaccine only hides symptoms of the disease if the birds get it.

Chickens can get sick for many reasons not related to the hatchery.

I can't seem to find the bad reviews you mention for Poultry Hollow.

If you do get rid of your current chickens.. many things will stay on the property for a LONG period of time.. so to me.. you're already exposed to whatever if it's anything that wasn't already there. Some things may clear out sooner.. but what would you do get rid of them anyways.. can't give them away or sell if they might be diseased.. are you gonna just straight cull them.. If so.. maybe send int o the state vet for necropsy and see if they can diagnose anything.. so you can figure out what to do on your end.. how long to depopulate etc. Free or affordable to backyard keepers in many states.

Any outside chicks will be exposed to whatever IS there on your property.. many things carried (or deposited) by wildlife.

If the chicks are vaccinated and get Mareks does that mean it won't kill them?
It means they probably won't start limping as teenagers, becoming uncoordinated and unable to walk.. To be clear plenty of unvaccinated birds are still carrying Marek's.. and not dead.. slow wasting is the most common symptom in older birds. Many things may depend on the virulence of the strain. This article has tons of information..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Please note.. sometimes a sneeze is just a sneeze.. if no one else ever started sneezing.. *maybe* it wasn't something infectious?! Hope your babies continue to thrive! :fl

As far as I know, they are not sick now, they all seem fine. I am one of those people who manage to find stuff to worry about constantly, lol.
But now that leads to another question. If the chicks are vaccinated and get Mareks does that mean it won't kill them?
Not necessarily, the vaccine is only about 85% effective. Your birds will be carriers for life if they're exposed to mareks, vaccinated or not.
What are your birds symptoms?

Not necessarily, the vaccine is only about 85% effective. Your birds will be carriers for life if they're exposed to mareks, vaccinated or not.
What are your birds symptoms?
They don't have any they seem fine except they all seem to have really runny poop. I was looking at reviews and people claimed theirs were sick, one even said he had them tested for mareks and it was positive. Of course some people gave it good reviews, mostly I was wondering if anyone had good things to say about them. I am not going to cull my chickens now, as they don't seem sick and they are pets to me. I just saw quite a few bad reviews and got nervous. The sneezing one stopped after a week and he seems fine now also. The lady seemed like she really loved the chickens, each one she picked up and talked too as she showed them to me, it was cute, actually. She did claim she could tell the sexes at 3 weeks and I am not so sure of that as one she claimed was female is obviously a cockerel. This is a pic of the sultans poop a bit ago sometimes it is dark brown with no solids at all

Attachments

• 20230630_125526.jpg
    20230630_125526.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The lady seemed like she really loved the chickens, each one she picked up and talked too as she showed them to me, it was cute, actually. She did claim she could tell the sexes at 3 weeks and I am not so sure of that as one she claimed was female is obviously a cockerel.
Wait, what?!

My answer changes some.. I'm sorry, I didn't realize they were older than newly hatched when you got them.

All urates pass through poop making them runnier when it's hotter and water consumption is up.

That kinda looks like a worm to me, but I wonder if @dawg53 can confirm or deny? TIA for looking!

Exactly how old is the bird in question? Tough to tell if it's a worm. If the chick was raised on soil rather than in a brooder, I'd say 'yes' as worms can cause blood in feces.
Treatment is Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen.
If the chick was raised in a brooder, not on soil, get the chick started on either SMZ-TMP or toltrazuril for coccidiosis. Personally I'd use toltrazuril, especially with a chick.

I got my chicks from poultry hollow in brush creek I have had them a month now, The sultan had the sneezes but he is better now. My main concern is I heard bad things about them on here and now I am worried they will get sick.
I was going to order some more from crackle hatchery and get the chicks vaccinated for mareks will that keep them safe if my poultry hollow chickens get sick?
Has anyone had good chickens from there for years?

Wait, what?!

My answer changes some.. I'm sorry, I didn't realize they were older than newly hatched when you got them.

All urates pass through poop making them runnier when it's hotter and water consumption is up.

That kinda looks like a worm to me, but I wonder if @dawg53 can confirm or deny? TIA for looking!
They were various ages , The three polish I got were maybe a few days old. I had posted a pic of the frizzle roos beak but only got one response so far. And they said it looked like it got hurt I put some antibiotic oint on it last night and it seemed better this morning
Exactly how old is the bird in question? Tough to tell if it's a worm. If the chick was raised on soil rather than in a brooder, I'd say 'yes' as worms can cause blood in feces.
Treatment is Safeguard liquid goat wormer or Valbazen.
If the chick was raised in a brooder, not on soil, get the chick started on either SMZ-TMP or toltrazuril for coccidiosis. Personally I'd use toltrazuril, especially with a chick.

toltrazuril

This is him I don't know his age but old enough to crow. On a side note he pooped when I had in a separate cage and it looked normal that time. Also it is really hot here in tn yesterday it was 95 if that helps. Also he is the one who had the sneezes

Attachments

• 20230701_102627 (1).jpg
    20230701_102627 (1).jpg
    646 KB · Views: 16
Now that I know his age, worm him with one of the wormers I mentioned in my previous post. You can use the search box to look up the dosages. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom