I got some meat rabbits!

I highly recommended Flemish Giants. They are peaceful, aren't tending towards aggression or biting. I have two Flemish does, and one Flemish Buck. I haven't had any litters yet, but they're still very young.

I am seriously considering rabbits in the future and was looking at either the New Zealand or the Flemish. I really like the GIANT flemish. They are so big!! At what age are you processing? I believe they take a bit longer and am wondering about the time/cost vs amount of meat and which breed would be a better bet cost wise.

Does anyone grow fodder for their rabbits? If so, what are you sprouting?

Last edited:
If you're wanting the most efficient feed to meat ratio, one of the true commercial meat breeds will be your best bang for the buck. (pun intended) Everyone I've ever met that has actually raised a few litters and not just starting out with flemish has said that their feed conversion is awful. Met a few myself not long ago, and while yes, they were sweet rabbits, they were bony as all getout. Personal preference here, but when I feel a meat rabbit, I want the impression of a meat brick. Flemish also are going to need more cage space, something to consider as well.

Californians, new zealands, champagnes, etc are all good choices.

Weird, my post never went through....

Go with your gut feeling, you will know which rabbit breed will fit your lifestyle. I have one non-flemish, and I don't like him at all, he will most likely end up in the pot soon (he attacked me and injured my tendon).

I haven't processed yet, I just have my breeding pairs at the moment. I could have processed them already if I wanted, my full blood Flemish especially. She's approaching six months and is 20 - 25 pounds (far from bony). I purchased her at 4 months and was still 15+ pounds (not bony then either).

Ill try to post some pics later if my phone will load them.

Thank you both. I have never had a rabbit before and am exploring the possibility. I think I may start with the New Zealand or Californian and see what happens from there. I would love to see pictures of your rabbits and your rabbit hutches if you have a chance.

Last edited:
I'm very excited, walked in this morning to find my smallest doe in labor, with three healthy babies in the nest, there was one outside that didn't survive... but there's more coming. :)

I raise most of the meat we eat and even though we enjoy home grown chicken and turkey, the least cost feed-wise is definitely rabbit meat. At 12 weeks we process a 5 1/2 to 6 pound NZW that dresses out to 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 pounds of meat with very small bones. Of course, they can get much bigger for stewing rabbits, but they are very meaty and very tender at the 12 week mark, plus the cage is refilled with 6 week olds, since the does are ready to ween this new litter and is already 2 weeks pregnant for the next litter! Our does are bred every 2 months, except when the summers turn triple digit temps. I do not breed our rabbits from mid July to at least Mid September. We really don't need to, since NZW have 11 to 13 to a litter, and once in a while they will download 14. That's a lot of meat. Rabbits are more work than chickens and turkeys, but I love having lots of babies around, so it's a labor of love for me! Our freezers are full all the time and we sell breeding stock and rabbit meat, to pay for the feed, which is always in demand, so our meat is almost free. The manure is used in our organic gardens, but it also can be sold, if we didn't use it ourselves.
bun.gif

If you are looking for a sustainable food source, you can start on a small scale, with limited resources and grow as you need to, rabbit are definitely worth looking into !

That's awesome. I'm a very happy owner of 7 male California and 2 NZs. Also found them on craigslist. The guy didn't have a clue about rabbits, the got taken for his money so to speak, every rabbit he received all male rabbits. That was fine with me all but one buck will be for my families food. I am hoping to find some California does soon though.

Back
Top Bottom