I HATE Bumblefoot!

So glad that terrible experience is over for you all now! Wishing her a super speedy recovery now that she's seeming out of the woods
2764.png
fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong for you and your feathered fam!
263a.png

So glad that terrible experience is over for you all now! Wishing her a super speedy recovery now that she's seeming out of the woods
2764.png
fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong for you and your feathered fam!
263a.png

Seriously! It's just been 1 thing after another! No wonder @chickens really gives me a hard time!
1f61b.png
but seriously thanks for everybody's support! & always kind words! Yall are the best! Xoxo.

@MandyJ this was my experience & what came out of her foot!
sSo far I have only gotten a little puss out of it. I will continue to soak.
How did you bandage the foot? I tried. It was a disaster! Lol Poor duck!
I let her free roam for about an hour yesterday. She was hardly limping but I could see the swelling was still there.

After reading this thread, I kept thinking about how my Buff's bumblefoot wasn't improving while my Welshie's bumblefoot had cleared up almost immediately once I started scraping it out and spraying it with Blu-Kote. The Buff had hurt her middle toe in her right foot about a month or so ago. It was very swollen and from what I'd read on here etc, I needed to keep her from running around, check it for bumblefoot and basically monitor it.

She has been getting around fine, and while her toe wasn't getting any worse, it also wasn't getting any better.

Yesterday I had my husband hold her under his arm so I could examine her toe more thoroughly. I scraped out the bumblefoot area again, and this time got a small piece of what looked like the kernel but still wasn't big enough to explain why her toe was still so swollen and not getting any better. So we braced ourselves and I pressed firmly on either side of the area, like you would pop a zit, and immediately a 3/8" long piece of cottage cheese-like substance with a very small kernel on the top came out! No wonder she wasn't healing, not with all that in her foot! The Blu-Kote is great, but it can only do so much! I sprayed it with Vetericyn and I'm going to have my husband help me check it tonight.

Poor little duck. I know she was in a lot of pain when I was getting that pus-stuff out, but I figure that it was still less traumatic than boxing her up away from her flockmates, driving her to a strange vet with strange people who would still probably have caused her pain. This way, she could take an immediate bath after. I don't think think I'll be her favorite person for a while, but hopefully now she will get better.

I wish I'd thought to take photos, but I was so focused on getting it done, that I didn't think about it until after.

After reading this thread, I kept thinking about how my Buff's bumblefoot wasn't improving while my Welshie's bumblefoot had cleared up almost immediately once I started scraping it out and spraying it with Blu-Kote. The Buff had hurt her middle toe in her right foot about a month or so ago. It was very swollen and from what I'd read on here etc, I needed to keep her from running around, check it for bumblefoot and basically monitor it.

She has been getting around fine, and while her toe wasn't getting any worse, it also wasn't getting any better.

Yesterday I had my husband hold her under his arm so I could examine her toe more thoroughly. I scraped out the bumblefoot area again, and this time got a small piece of what looked like the kernel but still wasn't big enough to explain why her toe was still so swollen and not getting any better. So we braced ourselves and I pressed firmly on either side of the area, like you would pop a zit, and immediately a 3/8" long piece of cottage cheese-like substance with a very small kernel on the top came out! No wonder she wasn't healing, not with all that in her foot! The Blu-Kote is great, but it can only do so much! I sprayed it with Vetericyn and I'm going to have my husband help me check it tonight.

Poor little duck. I know she was in a lot of pain when I was getting that pus-stuff out, but I figure that it was still less traumatic than boxing her up away from her flockmates, driving her to a strange vet with strange people who would still probably have caused her pain. This way, she could take an immediate bath after. I don't think think I'll be her favorite person for a while, but hopefully now she will get better.

I wish I'd thought to take photos, but I was so focused on getting it done, that I didn't think about it until after.

That's exactly what happened with Floss! The swelling g was down the next day!

My Buff's situation seemed so similar to your poor Flossy - this thread is what gave me the confidence to try it.

This community is just amazing! I find it so inspiring the way we try to help each other take care of our dear ducks. And chickens - I think I heard once that there are a few people who still have chickens? ;)

We worked on the Buff's foot again tonight. I would have preferred to wait another day or so, but the next available opportunity won't be until this weekend.

I tried scraping out the area again but I didn't feel like it was really doing much, so I "squeezed" around the area (again, like popping a zit) and here's what came out:

Poor Buff! She was really not happy, especially when I "popped" the area again and more stuff came out. That time, it was thinner and stringy. I scraped out the area again and sprayed her foot with Blu-Kote, though I'm not sure why I bothered spraying her since she immediately jumped in the pool as soon as my husband set her down. Then he gave them all mealworms while I cleaned up.

Cleaning up took a little longer this time since towards the end, she pooped on me. Guess I deserved it, though. Poor thing. :/

We worked on the Buff's foot again tonight. I would have preferred to wait another day or so, but the next available opportunity won't be until this weekend.

I tried scraping out the area again but I didn't feel like it was really doing much, so I "squeezed" around the area (again, like popping a zit) and here's what came out:

Poor Buff! She was really not happy, especially when I "popped" the area again and more stuff came out. That time, it was thinner and stringy. I scraped out the area again and sprayed her foot with Blu-Kote, though I'm not sure why I bothered spraying her since she immediately jumped in the pool as soon as my husband set her down. Then he gave them all mealworms while I cleaned up.

Cleaning up took a little longer this time since towards the end, she pooped on me. Guess I deserved it, though. Poor thing. :/

I know! I love this online community!!
1f49b.png

Oh yeah! It's coming out good now that the "core" is out. It'll probably work itself out as long as it has a hole to come out. Flossys did anyway. & Then it just healed. The swelling should go down dramatically now! I'm glad my post helped! & I've noticed since I ditched the straw & started using hay their "feet issues" are gone! (Knock on wood!)

Sounds like my problem, only I can't seem to get anything out. Her's just looks like a little hole in the pad of the toe. I used needle, tweezers and squeezed. But nothing. The toe is swollen but today there was no limp. I'll just watch her, I am sure it hasn't healed up, I think she is saying "I won't limp around that lady, she does things to me that hurt!!". LOL

Glad yours are doing better, I just hope mine goes as well.

Back
Top Bottom