I have a baby chick eater

Kkkristi

Chirping
Mar 6, 2023
I have a mixed flock and they coexisted wonderfully BUT Yesterday morning I went to check on my orpington and she had a dead baby beside her 😔 with a bloody head like it had been pecked, the baby was still very soft so it had just recently happen before I made my morning rounds. I was confused and sad but called it what is was and went on about my day. After running errands I went back to check on her and she had another baby, under her and her remaining egg. In the 30 minutes I was getting a crate together to put her in her baby disappeared...GONE! She was looking at me so sad 😞 and I noticed feathers around her. My coop is 800sq ft. so everyone has more than enough space and I pasture range.
I love all my birds however I can not have a chic/egg eater. Does anyone have any suggestions besides putting cameras in the coop (already done) to find out who is doing this? I'm at a total loss.

You won't find out who or what is eliminating chicks without surveillance. But you might prevent further tragedy by sectioning off the broody nest from the rest of the flock.

Years ago when I was hatching from my flock with a broody, I had a dedicated coop section with its own little run for a broody during incubation and subsequent upbringing of the babies. At the very least, if she eats her own chicks, there is no other chicken to blame for it.

You won't find out who or what is eliminating chicks without surveillance. But you might prevent further tragedy by sectioning off the broody nest from the rest of the flock.

Years ago when I was hatching from my flock with a broody, I had a dedicated coop section with its own little run for a broody during incubation and subsequent upbringing of the babies. At the very least, if she eats her own chicks, there is no other chicken to blame for it.

I agree. I feel horrible because it's gone so well until now. I can't say it wasn't her who killed her own chick. I've moved her and will definitely set up a broody box for her. In your experience would you recommend a broody box inside or outside the coop?

if its easy to block off inside is ok, but really, if your counting on chicks to grow your flock use an incubator .. imo theres alot of drawbacks to using a broody including parasite infestation, disruption of egg laying, and yes, you generally have to work to make a special area anyway so its not 'easier' .. id say generally letting a hen do it for you works better in a larger operation, lots of room etc ..

if its easy to block off inside is ok, but really, if your counting on chicks to grow your flock use an incubator .. imo theres alot of drawbacks to using a broody including parasite infestation, disruption of egg laying, and yes, you generally have to work to make a special area anyway so its not 'easier' .. id say generally letting a hen do it for you works better in a larger operation, lots of room etc ..
Thank you! I used to think letting mamma raise them was easier however it is not! After 4 - 5 weeks mammas are done with their babies and they are just hawk magnets, running around fending for themselves. I always end up putting them in our dedicated chick pen because they dont eat enough in my opinion. I think this will be the last time I let mamma hatch inside the coop. Thanks for your insight I appreciate it.

Broody raised chicks are the most wonderful thing to watch. Most do an adequate job of it, but there are some that blow it. It's happened in my flock and it can be heart breaking.

I have a section in my enclosed run where I brood baby chicks, and one time a broody hen moved in there to take over the chick rearing. As long as the brooding space is protected from weather and predators, there's no reason why you can't set up such a space in your run. The advantage of setting aside space in a coop or run for the brooding of chicks is that the rest of the flock can observe them while keeping the chicks safe, and this causes the flock to accept the new chicks as flock members, reducing the risks of integration.

I have no idea what happened to that chick, either what killed it or why it disappeared. Something may have eaten it or you may still find that carcass around somewhere.

I let my broody hens hatch with the flock. Usually it is very successful but occasionally things go wrong. I don't isolate my broody hens while they incubate and hatch but many people do. You can read stories on here where they sometimes have issues. I also hatch in an incubator. Usually that works really well but occasionally things go wrong. Whenever you deal with living animals things can happen.

I do not blame you if you never want to let a broody hen hatch again, in or outside the flock. We all have our experiences and need to learn from them. It would be interesting to know what did actually happen.

If you decide to isolate the broody I suggest you set up an area where she does not leave until the eggs hatch. You will need food, water, and a bit more space for her to poop but don't be surprised if she poops in the food or water. Instinctively she should know to not poop in the nest. Set it up so you can clean it as needed.

Set it up so the baby chicks cannot leave Mama's protection when they hatch. Use wire mesh with small openings. If the chicks can get away from Mama they are in danger, from other chickens, other animals, or exposure.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom