I have a cat and am concerned about getting chicks, any tips on how to separate them?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I have searched high and low for started pullets that can come at the times that I need (every link on 10 pages of google) but have come up empty handed. I would LOVE to raise chicks, but am concerned about getting them because of my cat. He has a reputation for giving lovely gifts of dead (or half-dead) chipmunks. I had a plan to try to familiarize him with chickens that were a bit bigger, but am having trouble finding those. Has anyone else had similar problems? I don't know how I could keep him away from the chicks, does anyone having tips for keeping cats separate/familiarizing them with chicks?

I have searched high and low for started pullets that can come at the times that I need (every link on 10 pages of google) but have come up empty handed. I would LOVE to raise chicks, but am concerned about getting them because of my cat. He has a reputation for giving lovely gifts of dead (or half-dead) chipmunks. I had a plan to try to familiarize him with chickens that were a bit bigger, but am having trouble finding those. Has anyone else had similar problems? I don't know how I could keep him away from the chicks, does anyone having tips for keeping cats separate/familiarizing them with chicks?
Do you already have your coop and run built and predator-proof? I would just brood them directly in the coop with a brooder plate or momma heating pad. I've never brooded chicks in the house and never would.

We brood in the basement and cover the brooder with hardware cloth basically just set on top with the edges bent over the side of the brooder tank. That was enough to keep our cat out the one night he accidentally got locked down there. As for the adult birds, the cat likes to watch them but is afraid of them if they get too close- I believe many cat attacks on adult birds are from feral cats, not well fed house cats.

I had my brooder in the house, in the upstairs hallway, for 3 weeks, and actually loved it. I have an indoor cat who’s a determined hunter (mice that sneak in) but I had the brooder covered on top and had no issues. When she realized she couldn’t get to them, she lost interest and left them alone.

Cats aren’t a problem for full grown chickens. An angry grown chicken can do more damage to a cat than vice versa, and the cats don’t want to risk it.

I agree about having your coop/run setup ready before you get the chicks though. They grow up FAST.

I don't have them set up yet, but I had honestly never really thought about that? It sounds silly, but I guess it's just because all the chicken owners I know (all three of which have chicks right now, coincidentally) have set up brooders in the house/garage. I'll think about that, thank you! Ideally I'll find some started pullets, but now that chicks are becoming more and more likely I'll start some brainstorming.
Chicks hatched and being raised in the coop maternity ward with mom.
2CAA8E144C7F_1589316178962.png

Last brood I raised in the same setup using a brooder plate. Lowest temp experienced by chicks was 23F when they were 8 days old.
IMG_20190430_150952126.jpg

If you don't have your coop and run built and ready to go, you should hold off on the chicks regardless.
They will need 4 sq ft of space per bird in the coop and 15 sq ft per bird in the run/coop total area. It takes time to get a predator proof setup.
If your building skills are limited consider modifying a shed into a coop.

If you don't have your coop and run built and ready to go, you should hold off on the chicks regardless.

x2! A mistake many of us have made is to get chicks first, then end up scrambling in bad weather to finish coops.

And I also brood outdoors. I currently have 1 week old chicks outside.

Chicks hatched and being raised in the coop maternity ward with mom.
View attachment 2156523
Last brood I raised in the same setup using a brooder plate. Lowest temp experienced by chicks was 23F when they were 8 days old.
View attachment 2156525
They will need 4 sq ft of space per bird in the coop and 15 sq ft per bird in the run/coop total area. It takes time to get a predator proof setup.
If your building skills are limited consider modifying a shed into a coop.
Yes, I have been planning to hold off on the chicks/chickens so that I have time to get everything set up. I might decide to put the brooder in the coop when it is set up, seems like a really good idea.

Yes, I have been planning to hold off on the chicks/chickens so that I have time to get everything set up. I might decide to put the brooder in the coop when it is set up, seems like a really good idea.
I put my 5 day old chicks in the brooder in my coop and the night temperatures ranged down to 31 degrees at night. I also used a brooding plate.

You may need to venture away from google to find started pullets. Look in the local newspaper And check out farmers markets. We have the MS Market Bulletin. Maybe you have something similar near you. I found my hens in the market bulletin at 11 months old, already grown and laying.

Back
Top Bottom