I have a rooster with bands on his legs and i want to know why he has them????

phoebs

Chirping
7 Years
May 30, 2012
tamworth (Australia)
I went to a chook auction and bought a trio of belgian d'uccles and my rooster is really
sweet but his comb has a little fault and i found that he has two zip ties on his legs i got him from
a stud auction and the bands colours are black and blue black on top blue on bottom!
i know the bands dont really matter but i would like to know why he has them and if
i should take them offf or not?

I went to a chook auction and bought a trio of belgian d'uccles and my rooster is really
sweet but his comb has a little fault and i found that he has two zip ties on his legs i got him from
a stud auction and the bands colours are black and blue black on top blue on bottom!
i know the bands dont really matter but i would like to know why he has them and if
i should take them offf or not?
I know a lot of chicken breeders use different colored bands to identify the bloodlines and/or parents of the birds. I'm sure it wouldn't matter if you take them off.

I put a zip tie band on a pullet hatched here from a broody. She is a blue colored Olive Egger(Marans and Easter Egger crossed). I have regular blue Easter Eggers and wanted to be sure I knew which was which.

Oh,and BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Yes, different people use bands to identify the individual birds or at least which hatch they came from. There are plenty of different reasons to band a chicken.

If the rooster is fully grown and the bands are loose, you can leave them or take them off as you desire. It really does not matter. But if the rooster is still growing, you should remove the bands. They can get tight and cause gangrene.

Back
Top Bottom