I have a single chick and i cant afford another one

Pics

pinestamara

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
uh. i know i’m gonna look absolutely horrible but i only have 1 chick, i bought her from cal ranch. uh, i’m a minor? so.

my fathers angry enough already that i got this one and no matter how hard i try to convince him he wont let me get another one.

i have everything she needs.. but cheap brand ig? she has a heat pad, a feeder and water thing, she also has clothes on top of the heat pad, heat pad is always at medium low unless cold in the house.

but im afraid she’ll become depressed and i know she will, how do i stop this? or better yet, how can i give her a better shot at living a happy life? shes abt 7 days old, 9 now maybe.

her behavior doesnt seem too off, she chirps constantly especially in her sleep and refuses to sleep unless i cup her in my hands or hold her close to my chest, that might just be because shes used to huddling together with other chicks.

please help.

A heat Pad isn't warm enough, a mirror or stuffed animal will help but chickens get more expensive (to a point) and need more care as they get older. You really might want to consider finding it a new home.
i feel like that would be so cruel? i’d feel horrible for doing that, what if she notices its not real?
They are not that self aware.

Check the exact temperature of the heating pad so it's warm enough for the lone chick. Should be at around 90F degrees.

You can raise a single chick, just keep it company.
i do! and it has multiple settings, just super scared of burning her

I'd urge you to consider rehoming it. Chickens really belong in a flock unless there's some extenuating circumstance that makes it difficult (i.e. special needs bird).

Also you said your father is against this and it's his home - where are you going to house the bird once it's older? Is it legal to have chickens where you live?

Back
Top Bottom