I have a weird looking rooster

So entirely fascinating! :pop Please keep us updated. :) I'm personally thinking Scruffy's an unusual pullet, but anything's possible. You are interact with him/her on a daily basis, and can detect abnormalities.

Like mentioned above, a chicken cannot truly "change genders." However, they may manifest behaviors and physical traits consistent with the opposite gender. :D

I own one of these "it" birds, who encompasses both genders in one, and (s)he has yet to pop out an egg (currently 3 years of age).

~Alex

Last edited:
Did the tail feathers get longer on either chicken? Did he He/She one ever lay an egg? Give us an update.

The white ones tail feathers grew long once before but I think someone pulled the long feathers out and they just haven't grown back in properly since.

As for the he/she one, he has always had short round tail feathers. They've never gotten longer or pointy. And no, never gotten an egg from him

The first bird is a hen. A confused one at that. I had a bird like this. Positively a hen as it was a sex linked colored chick. This bird crowed, bullied the other hens and mounted them as if breeding. It did not lay eggs. It was removed from the flock as it was useless as well as bothering the other birds. Mine was a Reeses Cream Legbar which hurt even more so because it was an expensive bird. It can happen. I've seen it but it doesn't happen often from what I have been able to find out. You should watch it's behavior with the others and it is being aggressive, remove it.

That's basically what happened with this one. He was bullied as a chick and became a bully to everyone else so I separated him for a while. He became basically a lone rooster until I got new pullets and tried throwing him in with them. He seems completely fine with them now. He used to try and kill other hens, now he's just happy to be around the others. Surprisingly he also doesnt scrap with his brother which he used to do constantly. If he's a hen, then your right he's very confused lol

View attachment 1664839
He is a black tail Japanese mixed mutt, I call him Scruffy. I've read and heard that roosters aren't suppose to have colors like he does. And I've had doubts that he's actually even a real rooster at all. He crows, not as often as his brother and it doesnt sound like a normal crow.
View attachment 1664841
This is his brother. A very normal looking rooster right? Seeing the two of them you can probably see why I have speculations. He looks just like his twin sisters, I want to know of anyone else has had roosters that display hen characteristics like this.
(I've been wanting to make a thread about this for a while and I wasn't sure what forum it should go into. My apologies if it's not the right one)

"Dude looks like a lady"-LOL! "It" stands like a hen you notice the second stands upright chest out..like a cock! And aren't those neck feathers rounded? Could she be laying somewhere other than the nest? My bantams NEVER laid in the nest. Mystery..PLEASE keep us posted!

20190211_133215.jpg

A picture I took while they were out yesterday. Just an oddball, I'm more confused about what he is now than before I started this thread :gig

Have you tried to examine its vent? At eight months you should be able to get an answer that way! If you are curious enough...

Yes the three buff ones and the white rooster I showed in the beginning of the thread are all siblings the same age. The neck feathers are slightly pointed. Kind of the same as the hen siblings have.

To the vent examining, yes I've actually done that and I'm not really sure what I'm looking for?

Back
Top Bottom