I have acquired a mated pair, the female is standard toulouse and the gander is dewlap, need to move

Nope, not a blood spot (which is NOT indicative of fertility in any egg) but the bulls eye appearance indicating a couple of cellular changes in fertile eggs - go to the link provided by Miss Lydia.

Well weve had a tragedy. George, my gander, killed both my ducks last night. I am devastated as I raised them from babies and my son was so angry at him. I moved them out into their pen this am to stay, even thought I dont have any way to lock them in at night, just a locking open pen. SHould I worry that he might kill any babies they have or was this just protective, too close together kind of aggression? So sad at work this am, my poor ducks. Cant help but feel this is my fault. I guess if something gets them before this weekend when I can finish the enclosed part they are on their own.

Well weve had a tragedy. George, my gander, killed both my ducks last night. I am devastated as I raised them from babies and my son was so angry at him. I moved them out into their pen this am to stay, even thought I dont have any way to lock them in at night, just a locking open pen. SHould I worry that he might kill any babies they have or was this just protective, too close together kind of aggression? So sad at work this am, my poor ducks. Cant help but feel this is my fault. I guess if something gets them before this weekend when I can finish the enclosed part they are on their own.
Yes very natural for George to act this way I could never have my geese in with the ducks or chickens. I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

He WILL not kill any babies they have he will be very protective just like he is being now. We learn some hard lesson sometimes.
sad.png
Your taking a big gamble not having them protected though they have no real means of defense against anything with teeth.

Yes very natural for George to act this way I could never have my geese in with the ducks or chickens. I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

He WILL not kill any babies they have he will be very protective just like he is being now. We learn some hard lesson sometimes.
sad.png
Your taking a big gamble not having them protected though they have no real means of defense against anything with teeth.

thanks for the hug Ive cried all morning. I think theyll be ok during the day from dogs and such theyre enclosure is complete its night time predators Im worried about, coons and such...doing everything I can to keep them safe but I had to take them in unexpectedly at an awkward time of year and Im just trying to make things work. Sad Sad day.

thanks for the hug Ive cried all morning. I think theyll be ok during the day from dogs and such theyre enclosure is complete its night time predators Im worried about, coons and such...doing everything I can to keep them safe but I had to take them in unexpectedly at an awkward time of year and Im just trying to make things work. Sad Sad day.
I hope it all works out, I know it's disheartening when right off the bat something like this happens. Hopefully once they have a secure enclosure it will be much better, my geese are so mean to the ducks and chickens they all free range together, but I know just from watching them the flock have learned to keep a safe distance from the geese. .If you have a large dog crate X large you could keep them in that for the night. It was so nice of you to take them in.

I hope it all works out, I know it's disheartening when right off the bat something like this happens. Hopefully once they have a secure enclosure it will be much better, my geese are so mean to the ducks and chickens they all free range together, but I know just from watching them the flock have learned to keep a safe distance from the geese. .If you have a large dog crate X large you could keep them in that for the night. It was so nice of you to take them in.

just an update, my sweet neighbor gave me her kids old little tykes playhouse. My awesome hubby helped me wire up all the windows and screw everything together tight. So all Ive got left to do is make a gate today. They were very happy with their new pen and house, and stayed cozy in their hay even after I opened the door to new fallen snow this morning. They swam in their new personal kiddie pool and seemed very content. As soon as the hurt wears off, were going to get some new baby ducks to train. RIP Si and Jep, we loved you so! Ill let you know if we get babies.

just an update, my sweet neighbor gave me her kids old little tykes playhouse. My awesome hubby helped me wire up all the windows and screw everything together tight. So all Ive got left to do is make a gate today. They were very happy with their new pen and house, and stayed cozy in their hay even after I opened the door to new fallen snow this morning. They swam in their new personal kiddie pool and seemed very content. As soon as the hurt wears off, were going to get some new baby ducks to train. RIP Si and Jep, we loved you so! Ill let you know if we get babies.
That is so nice there was another member that converted one of those into a cozy house for her 2 geese. I'm glad you were able to do it and helps work through the pain. Keep us updated on any new gozzies and of course new ducks when you get them.
hugs.gif

SO just an update...Millie has definitely gone broody. She only has 3 or 4 eggs but she will not let me look. Its terribly cold but she only gets up on the days it gets above freezing for a drink and a bit of food. She has piled all the hay up around her so that she looks like shes in a hay cave. Its been between 10/15 days so far so well see what we get. They are both terribly snippy as predicted and I go into their pen with a big cedar branch to keep George in check. My husband wont even go in anymore! lol. Scaredy cat! Also a man from church gave us a breeding pair of anconas to replace those we lost. No eggs yet from her but we are hopeful! Will let you know if we get any babies! In hopeful expectation!

SO just an update...Millie has definitely gone broody. She only has 3 or 4 eggs but she will not let me look. Its terribly cold but she only gets up on the days it gets above freezing for a drink and a bit of food. She has piled all the hay up around her so that she looks like shes in a hay cave. Its been between 10/15 days so far so well see what we get. They are both terribly snippy as predicted and I go into their pen with a big cedar branch to keep George in check. My husband wont even go in anymore! lol. Scaredy cat! Also a man from church gave us a breeding pair of anconas to replace those we lost. No eggs yet from her but we are hopeful! Will let you know if we get any babies! In hopeful expectation!
How nice to get some new ducks that was a nice blessing. And look forward to seeing some gozzies, just remember you might have to step in and take the gosling inside if the temps are really bad, they'll accept them back but they may not make it if temps are too cold. So when getting close to hatch day you might want to have a brooder ready just in case. Hope all goes well. And your the brave one for sure.
wink.png

Well we r.down to the last few days. Ms millie has stuck with it this whole time. Since its been so cold I take hot tea several times a.day. this is a pitcher of hot water. She has 7 eggs. Praying we get some babies. Can here no peeping yet. 29 days.....excited

Back
Top Bottom