I have tried it all. they still will not lay in there boxes. PLEASE HELP

dobbinsemail

Hatching
Apr 7, 2015
I have tons of fake eggs in their boxes. I have put the hens in the box showed, them the eggs, let them watch me put their eggs in the box. I have not tried covering their spot they lay on the ground, yet. I was thinking about attaching a milk crate to the front of a laying box and trapping the hens in a box for a day or 2... sounds mean but some chickens live like that. other ideas are to put a bin on the spot they lay and then move it into the box.. i tryed that once and they moved the bin... but maybe i can attach it to the wall right there on the ground...

ps my laying box is sweet! and my old hens used to love it.. the eggs roll out and you can take them from the out side

How old are the birds you are working with? How long have they been in this housing? How long have they been laying?
I know your previous birds liked your setup, but there may be something about it that is less appealing to the new birds - perhaps you can post photos of your coop's interior so that we can help you identify potential causes of your struggles.

i think the problem is that these hens are lazy and dont want to leave the ground.. the spot they perch is lower than the boxes.. i have mice perches but they dont go on them they gust on on this wood box about 1.5 ft tall.. i really would like them higher off the ground...

Back
Top Bottom