I have way to many chicks

I did the same thing last season...I hatched way too many🤭
How much longer for the the cochens to hatch? If it's very soon you can probably add them to the January 27 ones..
I also put 2 big plastic totes together, I cut a hole / doorway for them to go into each side..and placed heating pads under wee- wee pads and it was enough to keep them warm. I did also use a lamp during the colder days.
I'm not sure because some things say that hatch on day nineteen and some say they hatch on day twenty one I set them on January 31 so some time between February 19-21

I'd say to use a big heat plate since they can over heat with a lamp if it's not a large space
Ok. This is the best picture I could find, its one corner of the box and these chicks are about 6 weeks old.

Attachments

• 1707923809478.png
    1707923809478.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 14
What breed are the rural king chicks?
They may be docile enough to peacefully integrate them with the babies.. otherwise you may have to invest in another heat plate... I would try a good animal grade heating pad if you have them in a warmer area.

What breed are the rural king chicks?
They may be docile enough to peacefully integrate them with the babies.. otherwise you may have to invest in another heat plate... I would try a good animal grade heating pad if you have them in a warmer area.
Jersey Giant, Black Copper marans, and that sapphire gem mix hovers made

I've had marans that were calm, but the jerseys I don't have experience with- or the gem...🤔
Hopefully you'll get more feedback from other members... But hopefully you can get away without purchasing another plate... I'm in NC and March is warm, but nights are still too cold for babies..but by six weeks you may be able to use a light, and it could be a regular light bulb-- I used 100 watt bulb and the heating pad..

I've had marans that were calm, but the jerseys I don't have experience with- or the gem...🤔
Hopefully you'll get more feedback from other members... But hopefully you can get away without purchasing another plate... I'm in NC and March is warm, but nights are still too cold for babies..but by six weeks you may be able to use a light, and it could be a regular light bulb-- I used 100 watt bulb and the heating pad..
Yeah jerseys and marans I know are good calm birds but I don't know much about the gems

I'm pretty new to raising chickens myself but I didn't want to use a heat light because I was afraid of it causing a fire. I used a small space heater and just adjusted the temperature according to how warm the room felt when I went in. My new 4 chicks huddle up near the heated area and when they don't have a need for the heat they huddle up at the opposite end. That's probably not what most people would do but it's what works for me.
IMG_20240318_170743.jpg

Back
Top Bottom