I know about late hatches but how common are premature hatches?

humpbacks1962

Songster
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Middletown, CT
My eggs were shipped. At 8 days, I decided not to turn them for two days because the detached membranes looked bad. I really didn't have much hopes for the eggs, but kept incubating them.

This morning a little guy just came out of the shell. But the other eggs are still in lockdown! This chick hatched at 19 days, only one day in lockdown. How common is this?

I have heard about low survival rates of chicks that hatch out of shipped eggs with detached membranes so I am still cautiously optimistic. But how common is it to have a chick hatch so early?

Temps hovered between 93 - 97, and humidity in the 30s. The temperature of the bator when he/she hatched was 95.

I don't know anything about shipped eggs or detached membranes but i usually have premature hatches. For some reason my Hova-Bator Genesis 1588 hatches eggs a day early. I even have several pips on day 19. All of mine turn out healthy. Good luck with your hatch!

Well, today five hatched already! I still have two in the incubator.
It is winter, and it is chilly! They seem to be oddly early, in spite of low temperature and humidity in the incubator.
No attached umbilical cords, no deformities... Just early chicks that hatched on day 19 after just one day in lockdown.

I am happy
love.gif

Last edited:
No, they are actually orpies.
The only explanation I have is that they were kept warm somewhere until shipping??
And my incubator is an el-cheapo Hovabator, still air.
hu.gif

Did you not turn them at all after 8 days?
That could be a factor also if you had a temp spike,humidity spike.
With shipped eggs you some times can put it on how long they sat while collecting.
As I have collected eggs and got a cold or flu and leave them out and then put in fridge only to fine they had start to incubate on my table.
Same as collecting if they set for a few days to get the amount you ordered if can give them a jump start. One reason you can get chicks that hatch early, detached air cell and so on. Mostly the detaced air cell is the handling of eggs while intransit to you.
As long as they are happy and running around I would not worry at all.
best of luck with your new chicks.

They had detached membranes so I propped them up and did not turn them between days 8 -10. I put them in egg cartons and merely swiveled them from side to side afterwards. I stopped turning again on day 17. I was so sure nothing would hatch that I gave up and called it a lockdown. So I let them be on the night of day 17. They started pipping at 3:00 am on the morning of day 19...

So, not turning them actually promoted hatchability? Do you think that was what did it?

I just set 4 dozen eggs in my hatcher on day 18. Today and it is day 19 and I have 10 pipped, 3 more pipped and zipped, and 2 hatched in the last hour. I have Buff Orpingtons and RSL in there and the Buffs Always hatch first for some reason. I usually have 2-4 hatch on day 18. What type of Orps are you hatching?

Nate

Back
Top Bottom