I know this topic is beat, but its Kinda Urgent

67Mopar

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2018
I lost most of my flock, i am down to to, 1 of them is being mean to the other survivor, pecking and chasing her all over the coop, I need to do ??? get more hens from a similar situation , keep them the way they are, dispatch the problem Hen, and keep a solo hen. dispatch both and start over , last night was a rough one, and since we lost a few last week, the mean one has been extra emotional. when I let them roam out of the coop they are fine, in the coop the mean one is really mean
Help Im in Mass,

Do you have a predator proof run attached to your coop? How much space is in your current coop and run?
It sounds like your entire pecking order was decimated along with the birds you lost and the current dominant hen is really asserting herself. Could also be exacerbated by the recent attack.
If the submissive bird can get away from the dominant by fleeing to the run, I'd try to get a couple of laying hens and work on integrating them into your current flock over the course of several weeks.

Loss by predetor, I can hear them squaking right now, see how the day goes I feel bad
I am sorry you are going through this. That would be hard. :hugs
If I was in your situation, I would try to separate the two in the coop by dividing it with fence or whatever you have on hand, predator-proof the h*** out of your coop and make a predator proof run, then get them some new flock members.
Good luck.

OK, trying to find a few girls to enhance the flock now, might as well do it all at the same time, the fortress has been reinforced again, but Ive spoken too soon in the past, and i dont have the money for a bank vault LOL anyone have a few hens they want to send my way , Local to Hudson Ma, message me or email [email protected]

OK, trying to find a few girls to enhance the flock now, might as well do it all at the same time, the fortress has been reinforced again, but Ive spoken too soon in the past, and i dont have the money for a bank vault LOL anyone have a few hens they want to send my way , Local to Hudson Ma, message me or email [email protected]

If you use Facebook, you might want to search for local chicken owner groups. Where I am in Upstate NY we have multiple groups that can be joined. Just yesterday someone posted that due to neighbor complaints she was rehoming her 5 chicken flock of 7 month old laying pullets. Others regularly post started pullets for sale. Many are NPIP certified. Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom