I moved my babies outside. Will they be okay?

LaynaDon95

Songster
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
Texas
It is 43*F tonight and it's not supposed to get below 41*F. Paisley and Sage are almost 3 weeks old. They are in a chicken tractor. The walls are covered with plastic. They have a rabbit cage inside the tractor, also covered in plastic, lined with hay, with a heat lamp over it.

It is plenty warm in the rabbit cage and draft free. They just won't stay in it. They prefer to be out in the tractor. They can get into the rabbit cage and do go into it willingly sometimes. Will they be alright? I'm just a bit paranoid. I don't want to lock them in the rabbit cage because there is no food or water in it and I don't them to over heat. But having access to the cage to warm up, they will be okay overnight, right?

Well, I hope they are okay but here's my take.

Ducklings need water and food 24/7 the first several weeks (more than 3) for optimal health.

At three weeks, it's best to have a place where they can be 70 to 75F. They need their energy to grow and develop normally, not stay warm, and their bodies will use energy for survival rather than development if they must.

A raccoon might be able to scrape through the plastic, eventually, and grab a duckling through the chicken wire. Half inch metal hardware cloth prevents that.

What's going to keep something from digging under the edge of the outer fence?

How are they today?

They are fine. They are enjoying the outside. They do have food and water. It is near the rabbit cage, I just don't want it inside because the will make a swamp if it is.
The temp should be fine. I haven't checked it with a thermometer yet, but it feels warm enough and they aren't huddled under it all the time, or trying to get away from it like it's too hot.
As far as predators, We don't really have problems with them. *knock on wood* Plus, the tractor in my dogs' yard, and they won't let small animals like that in there.

Back
Top Bottom