I must've agreed the chicken gods.

I am so sorry about that
th.gif

If they've got black on their wings, they're roos. I "lucked" out and 4 out of 5 of my SFs are roos. :/ I won't mind having one SF roo because I think they're stunning...I just really didn't need quite so many to choose from!

Yeah, they've got some black on their feathers. They also don't have much for tail feathers yet & the tips of their wing feathers are pointed. Blah.

We weren't necessarily going to keep a roo but if we do, I doubt it'll be one of the Salmons. It looks Ike we'll also have an EE roo, a BCM roo & possibly a Welsummer roo.

If they've got black on their wings, they're roos. I "lucked" out and 4 out of 5 of my SFs are roos.
hmm.png
I won't mind having one SF roo because I think they're stunning...I just really didn't need quite so many to choose from!
Pullets also have black or dark grey primaries. Chest and leg feathers generally are a more accurate indicator of sex. Are they breeder or hatchery chicks?

Yeah, they've got some black on their feathers. They also don't have much for tail feathers yet & the tips of their wing feathers are pointed. Blah.
Pullets also have black in the primaries. Hatchery pullets are frequently on the darker side Pointed wing feathers have nothing to do with gender, they can't be feather sexed. There is a Faverolles thread if you want to post pictures when they start getting body/leg feathers

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/268082/faverolles-thread/16540

My chicks are spazzy from 2 weeks to about 12 weeks. After that they calm down and I end up tripping over them at maturity.

Pullets also have black or dark grey primaries. Chest and leg feathers generally are a more accurate indicator of sex. Are they breeder or hatchery chicks?

Well, also the pullet is almost fully feathered, smaller, and while she has some light grey feathers doesn't have any black. The roos don't even have all their wing feathers in yet, are about a third bigger, and are constantly chest bumping, pile driving, etc. and generally making a pain of themselves. So, I had other indications. :) Mine are also from a farm/feed store.

Well, also the pullet is almost fully feathered, smaller, and while she has some light grey feathers doesn't have any black. The roos don't even have all their wing feathers in yet, are about a third bigger, and are constantly chest bumping, pile driving, etc. and generally making a pain of themselves. So, I had other indications. :) Mine are also from a farm/feed store.

How old are yours? I didn't get an exact birth date & this is my first time with chickens so I'm not good at estimating the ages.

I don't seem them chest bumping, lol, but they walk all over the others. But I wonder if that's just because they'd been in a small brooder tray with 30 other birds until I'd taken them home.

How old are yours? I didn't get an exact birth date & this is my first time with chickens so I'm not good at estimating the ages.

I don't seem them chest bumping, lol, but they walk all over the others. But I wonder if that's just because they'd been in a small brooder tray with 30 other birds until I'd taken them home.

Well, I got them four weeks ago. I don't remember them having much in the way of feathering then, so that's probably close to their age. And yeah, they steamroller the other chicks but not on purpose? Big dumb jocks. :rolleyes:

Well, I got them four weeks ago. I don't remember them having much in the way of feathering then, so that's probably close to their age. And yeah, they steamroller the other chicks but not on purpose? Big dumb jocks. :rolleyes:

Oi. Yeah, I'm hoping for pullets (as that's what I paid for) but not holding my breath.
1f606.png

I figure I'll just have to wait until someone crows. But it's still so frustrating. My friend told me to stop looking it up on the interwebz. He compared it to searching google for "chest pains." Lol

For reals. I was obsessively searching on Sunday and I just had to make myself stop. They will be hens or roosters without any "help" from me!

Back
Top Bottom