I need a tall tale about why the cockerel had to go...

I agree with the others, tell them the truth. Kids are sharper than you realize and it'll never sit well if they start suspecting (and eventually learn) that you weren't entirely truthful to them. They'll be upset in the short term, but I think better off down the road.

Most of us have been in this position, and wondered. And found out that our worries were worse than the actual fact.

I agree that they will follow your cue. They may get upset, to see if they can make your feel guilty, but just remain firm and calm, this is a fact of keeping chickens, and if they can't handle it, maybe the whole flock should go.

Once they get past the first idea, they will actually get kind of proud of themselves as they learn to handle this. My granddaughters too, love to come on butchering day, I think it is the idea of all working together that they enjoy.

Mrs K

Last edited:
I'm very proud of them they handled it with maturity. I explained that waking us and the neighbors at 4am was unhealthy in the long term and that people come before cockerels also that there were pros and cons to keeping chickens and although this is a down side reminded them of the upsides that we all enjoy. There were a few tears, but they agree with my reasoning. I did look into the collar option but having learned a bit more it wasn't an option for me. Thought I should update.

First concern is educating the kids preparing them to be responsible adults so being truthful is approach I like. We had a similar issue with tadpoles that clog screens and stress fish during harvest. Kids like the tadpoles but the fish are economically important.

Another option that would have involved keeping offending rooster is to have kids modify sound produced by rooster while it is crowing during the time that offends. Sound can either be adsorbed / muffled or even directed into a particular direction by placement of structures around roost. It could be a an educational project all family members can participate in. Look into how rooms are modified to promote a particular set of accustical qualities. Such changes can be done often at low cost. Starting point for me would having rooster roost in a barrel that can be re-oriented and padded. Another part of challenge would be getting rooster to stay with contraption at night. I have 50 odd adult roosters so this been thoughy about before with some experimentation to back it up. Silkies would be easier than what I have that are larger and produce larger volume crowing sounds.

I'm very proud of them they handled it with maturity. I explained that waking us and the neighbors at 4am was unhealthy in the long term and that people come before cockerels also that there were pros and cons to keeping chickens and although this is a down side reminded them of the upsides that we all enjoy. There were a few tears, but they agree with my reasoning. I did look into the collar option but having learned a bit more it wasn't an option for me. Thought I should update.
Yayy!!! Congrats!! Good Job Mom!!!
Not that it means anything, but I'm proud of you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom