I need help with how large of a run to build

Missyk0903

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2023
New York State North Country
Im a newbie and have 12 chicks, 6 assorted egg layers and 6 brahmas, all 12 are hens. I know Brahmas are a big bird and I want to ensure they have plenty of room to move around in the run as I will not be allowing them to free range, too many predators such as foxes, coyotes, hawks etc in our area. I was told a 10 x 12 would be plenty for all 12 but when my husband marked it out, it looked awful small to me. We want to keep the 10 foot width as that is how wide the shed we are using for a coop is & we are building the run off of it. So what length would be appropriate? We want to do 2 sides of the run using privacy fence and the front side will be done in 1/4 hardware cloth, we will do a 1 foot apron around the whole run and coop with it being on top of the ground. For the roof we are not sure what to do, use the same hardware cloth with 2 pieces of corrugate plastic for shade or use half clear corrugated plastic for sun and have brown for shade. I am most concerned about how big to make the run

Without free ranging, I recommend making the run as big as you can financially and physically make it. There’s no such thing as too big and your chickens will appreciate as much space as you can give them. I personally prefer a minimum of 20 sq ft per bird in a run if the chickens can not free range. Add a lot of stimulating things to the run as well. A 10’x25’ run would give 12 chickens 20sq ft each of run space. You can make it even longer to accommodate some chicken math if you want to get more hens. I just notice more behavioral problems when hens who can’t free range are only given 10sq ft each, however there are definitely people who have no issues with that.

Without free ranging, I recommend making the run as big as you can financially and physically make it. There’s no such thing as too big and your chickens will appreciate as much space as you can give them. I personally prefer a minimum of 20 sq ft per bird in a run if the chickens can not free range. Add a lot of stimulating things to the run as well. A 10’x25’ run would give 12 chickens 20sq ft each of run space. You can make it even longer to accommodate some chicken math if you want to get more hens. I just notice more behavioral problems when hens who can’t free range are only given 10sq ft each, however there are definitely people who have no issues with that.
Thanks, I definitely want to keep them happy. We have 4 acres and I really wish I could let them free range, but I know 100% they will become lunch for something and I would never forgive myself. I was originally thinking of doing a smaller run this year and extending it out next year, but I may just do a bigger one now. I never realized how much time I would put in thinking about a chicken run lol

Thanks, I definitely want to keep them happy. We have 4 acres and I really wish I could let them free range, but I know 100% they will become lunch for something and I would never forgive myself. I was originally thinking of doing a smaller run this year and extending it out next year, but I may just do a bigger one now. I never realized how much time I would put in thinking about a chicken run lol
Oh I definitely get it. Mine don’t free range either and we live on 5 acres. We have daytime coyotes, loose dogs, hawks, eagles, daytime bobcats and I’ve even seen a raccoon around my run during the day! There’s absolutely no way I could free range without loosing all my chickens either. You will always spend a lot of time thinking about things to make your chickens happier. I just doubled my run size early this spring because… chicken math haha.

I don't use hardware cloth making a large run, nor do i roof it. Its a day run they get turned out in. My 6x14 armored coop is roofed and has an apron. The 10x30 day run is 2x4 animal wire with a hawk net. If you have day time predator issues, use an electric wire with it.

Attachments

• IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    865.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0714.JPG
    IMG_0714.JPG
    828.4 KB · Views: 53
I don't use hardware cloth making a large run, nor do i roof it. Its a day run they get turned out in. My 6x14 armored coop is roofed and has an apron. The 10x30 day run is 2x4 animal wire with a hawk net. If you have day time predator issues, use an electric wire with it.
Last week I just watched a hawk right in front of our living room window, destroy a full size rabbit, i tried to stop it but it wouldn't leave it alone. I 100% need a roof. Your set up looks really nice though!

Your intuition that this is not enough space, especially given the fact that you're not talking about tiny bantams is correct. Go big. You're going big with your chickens and you have the space to go big with your run. You'll thank yourself later (as will your flock by not fighting.) Free ranging is not terrifying if you don't do it from sun up to sun down. Allowing them to run around for even just one hour before lock up, supervised by you (I have 2 chairs with cocktail holders to watch over the space.,) can be a compromise. Just sayin.

Your intuition that this is not enough space, especially given the fact that you're not talking about tiny bantams is correct. Go big. You're going big with your chickens and you have the space to go big with your run. You'll thank yourself later (as will your flock by not fighting.) Free ranging is not terrifying if you don't do it from sun up to sun down. Allowing them to run around for even just one hour before lock up, supervised by you (I have 2 chairs with cocktail holders to watch over the space.,) can be a compromise. Just sayin.
Thank you, the doing supervised free runs had crossed my mind, I am just nervous because we have foxes that are in plain sight all throughout the day. I may try it with my husband also being present so he can help. If it were up to me and I had an endless amount of money our whole 4 acres would be 1 giant enclosed chicken run lol

Back
Top Bottom