I need help with how large of a run to build

You could go with a 20x20 run space.
This allows for at least 33 sq ft per chicken, which should make them happy.
This is the space we have for our chickens. Currently, 4 are out, and 7 are in the brooder.
Our run is 16x20 for 9 Blk Aus which works out to 35 sq ft per bird, only because I had the material and I feel the more room the better. They also have 6 acres of wooded and open free range. The only drawback to all the free range is I know their will be eggs scattered all over the place. :lau Not a big deal for me. I'd rather they had freedom of movement.

Last week I just watched a hawk right in front of our living room window, destroy a full size rabbit, i tried to stop it but it wouldn't leave it alone. I 100% need a roof. Your set up looks really nice though!
I have a hawk net over the run.

Attachments

• IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    901.2 KB · Views: 8
Last week I just watched a hawk right in front of our living room window, destroy a full size rabbit, i tried to stop it but it wouldn't leave it alone. I 100% need a roof. Your set up looks really nice though!
If you get the knotted poultry netting rated for hawks, you should be able to cover a large run with the netting and be safe from hawks. This is what we have done.

I need something to cover the run for the winter, that is why I was thinking of doing corrugated plastic panels, we get an average of 160 inches of snow. I dont want too much snow piling up in the run
Then you are definitely going to want a solid roof, and framing to support the snow load, over the run.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1682601666978.png

Then you are definitely going to want a solid roof, and framing to support the snow load, over the run.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3483884
Thank you! I updated my location

Back
Top Bottom