I need your potato soup recipe

NancyDz

Songster
11 Years
Oct 9, 2008
Dutch Flat, CA
So my sister-in law has always made the best potato soup but currently my brother is in the process of making her my ex- sister in law
sad.png
and it's not the best time to ask her for her recipe. SO I'm really craving some creamy, chunky potato soup. I'm hoping some of you have your own yummy recipes for it that you are willing to share. Her's had bacon in it too... which made it extra tasty but all versions are welcome!!!

Thanks!

Nancy

Last edited:
peel your potatos like you are going to cook them to mash them put in water cut up a small - medium onion and boil with potatoes when potatoes when they are half done add 1 can of evaporated milk or 2 cups of milk add salt and pepper to taste let finish cooking till taters are done. oh and dont forget to add 1 tablespoon of butter when you are boiling. makes the best tater soup I have ever tasted.

I use red potatoes, peeled, diced boiled til almost done . While potatoes are cooking I saute diced onion in butter with a couple of dashes of Worchestershire sauce..add this to the potatoes along with a can of evap milk and half n half..serve with grated cheese and real bacon crumbles...and of course Gump bread!!!

This is my own creation, and my 7-year old and I love to make this together. When I reminded her yesterday that we'd be making it, she grinned and said, "I love cooking that soup with you, Mom." Sometimes we pretend that we are on a cooking show on Food Network as we chop. Here's the recipe:

2 48 ounce cans of chicken broth (I use low-sodium)
1 ham steak (around a pound)
4-5 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled
1 medium onion, chopped fine
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
3 cloves of garlic, pressed or chopped
1 pint of light cream
1 box (2 packages inside) of Betty Crocker Cheesy Instant Mashed Potatoes
poultry seasoning
salt and pepper
parsley

Bring the chicken broth to a boil. I chop potatoes first, then the onion while my daughter chops the carrots first, then the garlic and ham. I simmer this on medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. I add the cream and ONE of the packages of instant potatoes. Doing two at the same time creates big lumps. Go slow in this process to work the flakes into the broth. Add the other package slowly too. The potato flakes will thicken the broth. When both packages have dissolved, turn the heat on Low. Add poultry seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Add parsley last.

We eat this for two meals in a row, and freeze 2 more meals for our family of three.

VARIATION: Add chicken instead of ham and then add a can of corn for Chicken Corn Chowder.

Here's one secret that works with any potato soup you make... many say to mash some of the potatoes, or partially mash them to thicken the soup, I learned from a very good cook a different method. Add some instant potato flakes at the end of the process! It works GREAT! Don't tell anyone you're serving it to, just sprinkle them in slowly till it seems about right for your taste. Go light with em to start, always simple to add more. (can't take em back out after all, and don't want to water things down!)

There's so many recipes out there I'm not going to confuse things with more than this.
wink.png

Katy's Potato Soup

Brown 1 pound cut up bacon until brown and crisp in a large dutch oven.
Remove from drippings and set aside.

While you're browning the bacon: Dice up 4-5 potatoes, grate 1 large carrot, chop up one medium onion.

After you have removed the bacon from the drippings add the potatoes, carrot, and onion. Cover veggies just barely with water and cook till veggies are tender. Do not drain!

Melt 4 Tablespoons of butter and add 4 tablespoons of flour. Stir until smooth. Add 3-4 cups milk. (I'm not real sure on that amount of milk since I just pour and stir until it "looks right")! Stir and cook until smooth. Add this mixture to the veggies and continue cooking until nicely thickened. Add the bacon and salt and pepper to taste. Tastes even better the next day.

Last edited:
My recipe is like Katy's, only I don't use bacon--I fry the onion and carrot plus a chopped stalk of celery in half a stick of butter for a few minutes, until the onion is soft, then add the taters. And I put grated sharp cheddar in as well, some chopped fresh parsley, a teaspoon of thyme.

Same recipe works real well with sweet corn added. Or you can substitute a bottle of clam juice for half the milk, and add some steamed shucked clams to make chowda.

I use hamburger, or corned beef,(we prefer the hamburger)
peal and cube enought potatoes for your family
chop 1 small onion, add to potatoes
cover and start to boil,
cook hamburger breaking apart until it's like scrambled.
pour off grease
add to potatoes
cook until potatoes done
add chunk of butter
add salt & pepper to taste
if to thin ,add instant potatoes until as thick as you like
Serve
I like mine with a slice of cheese over it, really good with both biscuits or cornbread really good on a cold dreary day like today , so guess we will have potato soup for dinner. marrie

Back
Top Bottom