I opened the bator during lockdown...

moodybubbles

Songster
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
The one hatched duckling was walking on the plastic sheet/thermometer. So I took it out quickly. 5 min later I opened it again and shoved that back inside because I realized it is how the temp is regulated.

Opened it twice more quickly to add water since I had humidity loss during the other openings.

I didn't see any eggs trying to pip before all this opening BUT after all the opening I checked with a flashlight and see definitely one possibly even 2 with pip cracks...

Have I killed them with shrink wrap? It really was fast open/ close every time.

Also that duckling is snuggling with the plastic sheet thermometer with stapled wires that came with lg forced air incubator.

Last edited:
Relax.
smile.png

They will be fine - in that what whatever was going to hatch before you opened it, will still hatch as long as the humidity came back up quickly.

Also I set these on feb 17 at 4 pm. Day 1 is the next day, right? So today is day 26 or I actually count the day I set as day 1 and today is day 27? They are pekin/runner mix eggs.

The humidity is back up to about 70% according to the included hygrometer. Didn't take long for it to get back up.

Thanks! I will try not to worry...I don't want this one to be a lone hatchling out of possible 6 ;)

Okay so I don't follow every rule in the book. Mainly because you all are right, Broody's didn't read the hatching book. I used only the included hygrometer and I think it said it wasn't accurate below 60%. I kept humidity mostly around 50-60 then filled all channels at lockdown but one was out 24 hours after lockdown.

But I only have one hatchling still today. It has been almost 24 hours since I saw those little pips with a flashlight. One jumped last night when I shined it on that egg but otherwise nothing is going on. Should I assist now?

I forgot to get feed so I will get that today and get the brooder going for this single duckling. I will put a stuffed animal in there and hope it gives him company.

And I realize some of you follow every rule and some don't. Those eggs were fresh, stored at room temp, not 50-60 degrees, I didn't turn them before setting. Temp stayed around 99.5-100.7. I did use a backup thermometer initially that read 99-100. But at the end when I double checked again, it read 97 but the built in one stayed the same. Is it the pre- hatch care or incubation humidity/temp that is off?

Last edited:
For chicken eggs, your humidity seems like it was high, but for ducks, I'm not really sure. I'll try to tag my friends who raise ducks for any words of wisdom.

@WVduckchick @RavynFallen

Last edited:
I just locked down my duck eggs last night. All of maybe one is alive and moving. One looked like it was not going to make it leaving me with 4 remaining duck eggs for sure alive and moving well. I am not sure if I need to do anything extra that I don't do with chickens. I am sitting pretty comfortable at 100 degrees and 75% humidity.

Duck eggs can usually stand a little higher humidity but I still go by the air cells.

The biggest difference with ducks is the time it takes them to get out after pipping. 40+ hours is not uncommon! They take their own sweet time. Dont rush them. Bigger yolks to absorb. Bigger bodies, etc.

Just my opinion. Best of luck!

Sorry, I gotta run

Thank you!

I put warm moist paper towel around the two that had started to soften the shell? I read it somewhere this morning.

Turns out the one had started (finally) to get a bigger hole and I saw movement on both that had pipped.
Duck eggs can usually stand a little higher humidity but I still go by the air cells.

The biggest difference with ducks is the time it takes them to get out after pipping. 40+ hours is not uncommon! They take their own sweet time. Dont rush them. Bigger yolks to absorb. Bigger bodies, etc.

Just my opinion. Best of luck!

Sorry, I gotta run

For chicken eggs, your humidity seems like it was high, but for ducks, I'm not really sure. I'll try to tag my friends who raise ducks for any words of wisdom.

@WVduckchick
  @RavynFallen

Thanks!

Monitoring air cells and spritzing with water but running humidity around 30% until lockdown was also something I just read about 2 weeks into the incubation period so it was too late to start that this time.

Back
Top Bottom