I ordered!!! :) :) :)

Eluria

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
So, I ordered my girls today! 1 Cayuga, 1 Blue Swedish, and 2 Welsh Harlequins (one more than I had originally planned, but the Welshies are supposed to be very calm and I like to plan for contingencies). I am so excited. Shipping August 25 because I dithered for too ling and missed this Monday's shipping date, but ok in the long run because we will have a little more time to spiff up the house :) I will post pics when they are here.

Yes, Metzer. I had technical problems ordering off the web site, but they took my order over the phone and were super nice about it. I am excited that we will be duckling mommies together! It's like finding out you are sharing a due date with someone when you're pregnant. OMG, I have totally geeked out over these ducks LOL.

What kind are you getting, Sheena?

Exactly like sharing the same due date LOL!!! I had to get several, as I recently figured out I have 4 boys and only 3 girls. Not a safe ratio!!! One of my boys is a mallard, so I got him a couple mallard females since everyone else is so much bigger than him (and they have the best chance besides runners at colored eggs)!! I guess you could say I got him some mail order brides lol! I would be crazy not to get welshes!!! I have to admit i got a welsh boy also, i hope to breed them. No one in my area offers that breed and i will have to pay for all this food some how. They are the reason I chose metzer, all the other hatcheries seem to be out of stock!!

I got a couple khakis and buff too. And a blue swedish especially for my son who's favorite color is blue and went nuts when he found out there was such things as blue ducks lol. And a crested white one also. There was 12 all together, I hate getting that many at one time as I like to spend a lot of time trying to tame them but I needed the numbers if I didn't want to rehome my boys (3 cayuga males in addition to the mallard)

I just hope they will all get along one day in the same house. The ones I have now we're two different sets, and surprisingly one magic day they decided to be one big flock!!

My mom has chickens and is considering adding ducks next year. I am thinking i'll give her one of the cayuga males and some of these girls when she is ready for ducks. She doesn't find as much fun as I do with the brooder scene!! I visit her and the chickens daily so I won't feel like I am loosing them.

I can't wait till we get our babies :) when do u think you will get yours?? I am on east coast so I figure it will be that wednesday. I have to drive a couple hours for them, they couldn't deliver live birds to my zip code :(

Oh, wow, that's a lot! I am in suburbia with a smallish to medium-sized backyard, so 4 is probably pushing it for me. The Swedish is for one of my daughters, but she was having a hard time choosing between that and a Buff. I almost got the Buff for the 4th duck, but Welshies are supposed to be a little smaller, so in the event that they all survive, we will have less total duckage? That's the theory anyway LOL. I am jealous that you can order all those at once, but maybe you are right about spending more time with them individually anyhow. Since these will be pets as much as they are for eggs, I am hoping they will be social :) I ordered from Metzer because they sold the sexed babies--since I can only have a few, it was important that they all be girls (and I didn't want to try to explain overly vigorous duck mating to my kids who are still pretty little).

We have a little rescue Mallard that I am pretty sure is a girl, but she hates me :p She will be moving out soon to the big duck pen that we are building, so even if she isn't fully feathered by the week of the 25th, she can stay in her "halfway house" for a little while getting used to the great outdoors before she is turned loose. I think she will be though, they grow crazy fast!

I don't know when they will arrive--I was thinking Wednesday morning, but I suppose mine could be here as early as Tuesday since I am in California. I really need to find out which post office they are delivering to--I have the opposite problem you do, where there are too many post offices around here so I don't know which one to pick up at! Metzer could probably tell me if I call tomorrow--they advised that we call the PO and tell them to look for the live bird shipment.

Post Pics when you get them!

Back
Top Bottom