I really need help with this..

Blue Raptor

As Astera Per Aspera
Feb 20, 2021
Deutschland 🇩🇪
My Coop
My Coop
My black copper maran, Griffin, is has lost weight, stopped eating, and her abdomen is swollen. Her comb is droopy. I suspect a broken egg inside of her that got infected, but I’ve had two or three chickens pass from this.
The vet is not an option.
Anyone know the best way to treat this? I really don’t want her to die, we only have three BCMs.
Her vent isn’t blocked on the outside.
F81337C0-F043-4E32-AC48-A0F51538EEE2.jpeg

If an egg has broken inside your hen, there will be signs of it. Most often, there is a steady drip of mucous from the vent, soaking the butt feathers. If there is poop, it's often tinged with yellow mucous. The hen may be acting lethargic, standing still or moving in slow motion. You won't see normal jerky movements of her head as you see in normal chickens, and she will not react instantly to the notion of a food opportunity like a normal chicken. This would indicate infection is underway and the possibility of egg material still blocking the oviduct.

I suggest doing two things. First give her a calcium tablet in case there is material remaining in the oviduct that should be expelled. Second, start her on amoxicillin immediately or whatever antibiotic you can lay hands on.

:hugs Sorry for the losses :hugs
Thank you, it was too bad I could help them. :(
Did you do a necropsy on the past deaths?
I did not.
Hmm, about 2 or 3 years.
Have you wormed recently?
My mom did, but I wasn’t here to see her, so it might not have been done correctly.
What are they eating?
%16 layers pellets and little scratch for luring them in at night.
Do they have Oyster Shells available?
They do.
Thank you for replying!

If an egg has broken inside your hen, there will be signs of it. Most often, there is a steady drip of mucous from the vent, soaking the butt feathers. If there is poop, it's often tinged with yellow mucous. The hen may be acting lethargic, standing still or moving in slow motion. You won't see normal jerky movements of her head as you see in normal chickens, and she will not react instantly to the notion of a food opportunity like a normal chicken. This would indicate infection is underway and the possibility of egg material still blocking the oviduct.

I suggest doing two things. First give her a calcium tablet in case there is material remaining in the oviduct that should be expelled. Second, start her on amoxicillin immediately or whatever antibiotic you can lay hands on.
She does have all those symptoms, I’ll check up on her and see what I can do medicine-wise. 👍

My mom asked if we can use antacid or tums instead of a calcium tablet? And she wanted to know what other kinds of antibiotics we can give her. We don’t have amoxicillin.

Yes on the Tums. Almost any antibiotic would work, but a broad spectrum antibiotic is best. If you find an old prescription, tell us what it is and we can figure out the dosage.
Sorry, I didn’t see this! We don’t have any old prescriptions. We gave her the Tums and she perked up. 1 tablet- right? She started eating a little more, but she’s still lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom